Wanted - minimalist paint spraying device - what's possible?

What's the cheapest/simplest way to be able to spray paint? It's just to get paint into odd inaccessible corners on our boat, down in the bilges and the inside of the (box section) bathing platform. So it doesn't need to spray particularly evenly or anything like that, it just needs to spray and to be small and light so I can poke it into difficult corners.

I'd prefer it not to require power but it can be mains powered if that's the cheapest/easiest way. The sort of stuff I will be spraying is probably "Vernis pour Rouille - Rust'Killer" (which is very thin and penetrating) followed by normal oil based paint.

The ability to put a long[ish] handle on the spray head would be very useful too.

Reply to
tinnews

the spray heads are not hugely expensive - the compressor is tho.

For rough work why not get a garden sprayer? Or even fill a squirt bottle?

I would say a garden sparey - pump and go type - would work if the issue is more just to deliver paint, than a classy finish.

These are plasticky shit but that should be OK on thinned oil paint. Not cellulose tho.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

One of those pump up garden sprayers? or if you want less effort, one of those battery operated fence sprayers, tho the battery dosent last long in them, but probably long enough to do what you want,

The lance on the battery fence sprayers is about a foot long, i made mine 4 foot long so i could spray a load of 2x1's laid on the ground without bending over, the tube between the trigger and nozzle is removeable, and it's a simple case of finding a longer length of tube with the same outer diamiter,

Reply to
Gazz

Do you mean one of these

Mentalguy2k8

Crikes! The laddo can afford a boat. Put him on your list.

mark

Reply to
mark

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What list? the list of peopel who have saved up money and bought something that does no one any harm?

Or the list of people who have exploited stupid and ignorant people and stolen their money to put solar panels on their rooves?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sounds like an airbrush and can of air will do what you want as well as being small and portable.

Reply to
John Rumm

Cant get much volume thru an airbrush.. Ive used garden sprayers to treat wood agaisnt rot with fungicides. Its not bad.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That sounds like the sort of thing I need.

... and a search for "battery fence sprayer" brings up several possible ones, thank you! :-)

Reply to
tinnews

... but will they spray solvent based paints (more than once)?

Reply to
tinnews

You choose. Stupid and ignorant people ( that's those without solar panels by your reckoning) tend not to have money to steal. I think you'll find that most people who have solar panels paid for them with money they'd earned and it's their choice how they spend it be it on a car, boat, holiday, new kitchen, new bathroom or solar panels etc. Thank you for helping me realise that green part of green energy represents the envy of the latter-day Luddites.

Reply to
mark

Cheapest are the airless electric ones.

Reply to
harry

You can buy a re-useable aerosol can. It has a removeable top for filling it and, once closed, you pump it up with a car foot-pump.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Depends on what you want. The garden sprayers are good for preservative where you want to get the wood quite wet. Airbrush would be more suited to touching in small areas of paint / varnish in difficult to reach places.

Reply to
John Rumm

Any ideas where to buy such a device, my Google'ing doesn't seem to be up to finding one.

Reply to
tinnews

I think you are describing an aerosol can!

You can get pretty much anything in an aerosol these days.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Off hand no. Googling "refillable aerosol" brings up a few, but mainly in the States - see

for instance.

The one I saw and actually tried out was at least 30 years ago. It looks like they fell out of favour, but are now making a comeback (in the US at least) as legislation pushes waste reduction in small companies.

I found loads more before making my previous post, but I'd had a few drinks and can't remember what I Googled for!

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

You can't get "Vernis pour Rouille - Rust'Killer" in an aerosol, the

*only* way it's sold is in conventional 500ml cans. The other issue I have with 'ready made' aerosol cans is the cost.
Reply to
tinnews

Then maybe pick a different treatment. Rechargeable aerosols are pretty crap even used upright, in the confines of the bilges of a boat they will be useless.

If you have a compressor (or even a portable air tank that could be charged up from a garage airline) then a schutz gun, or even better a wax cavity spray gun like ebay 160682337770 will get the rust proofing / rust killer where it is needed. But they are not minimalist but will get the job done right.

Alternatively - and yes these are aerosols and are relatively expensive but most of the time this type of job only needs doing properly once.

The Other Mike