Wallpapering over dark wall..?

Now that our house is 'finished' the other half now of course wants to change the decor in the first room...

This will involve putting wallpaper up in place of the current painted lining paper. Given the lining paper, at 1400 grade, is doing such a good job of covering the 100yr old plaster I would ideally like to leave it up and paper over the top. However, the current finish is a relatively dark blue and whilst holding a piece of wallpaper (off- white with a pattern) over the top shows no obvious sign of it showing through I'm wondering if a whole wall may look slightly 'dull' given the the wallpaper is not totally opaque as holding it up to a window shows.

Hence I think my options are:

i) Removing the lining paper and wallpapering over the blank wall, ii) Putting new lining paper up and wallpapering over that, iii) Putting 1 or 2 coats of white emulsion over the blue lining paper and wallpapering on top, iv) Just wallpapering over the top as is and run the risk of the blue showing through (or at darkening it).

Any other ideas?

Whilst removing the current lining paper may be the 'best' way I'm worried about that the wallpaper may not be as good as covering the old plaster as the 1400-grade lining paper and that I may end up having to put lining paper up anyway.

Regarding the other options, which all require papering on top of emulsion paint, are there any reasons not to do this?

Mathew

P.S. If it helps put things into perspective the wall in question can be seen at

(the darker blue one)

--

Mathew Newton

Surely a tin of white emulsion wouldnt costthat much and a couple coats would wipe out the blue, then paper on top? Why do anything more complicated than you have to!

Reply to
Thomarse

|!Now that our house is 'finished' the other half now of course wants to |!change the decor in the first room...

Decoration = Forth Bridge ;-)

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Gutenberg

Free to any

I was interested to meet a guy who is working on that very project - seemingly there is another 4 years work. What I hadn't thought of is that as the Bridge is a balanced cantilever structure, all of the

19,000 tons of scaffolding currently on it also has to placed to retain the balance. Some quite extensive computing modelling is used seemingly.

How's that for going OT!!!

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Cheap "Trade" emulsion with some pale blue added to it will blind it and stop any grinning.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

I'll give that a go. It's got to be the quickest option/easiest option as you say and can probably do a couple of coats in one/two evening(s) ready for paper hanging at the weekend.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Just to round this off I did simply put two quick coats of cheap white emulsion on and papered over the top. Worked perfectly.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton