Wallpaper paste

Just found an unopened packet of wallpaper paste, that must be 20 years old. Does this stuff go 'off' or will it be OK to use? I don't want to mix and use it, then find paper doesn't stick well, given that it is hardly expensive stuff.

Reply to
Graeme

Graeme brought next idea :

We have just done (nearly) a top to bottom redecoration with some paste of similar age, no problems noted.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

In message , Harry Bloomfield writes

Excellent, thanks.

Reply to
Graeme

Seriously, though, if money is that tight, why don't you make your own? It's one of the few substances where the tool for preparation is always at hand. Batch sizes may be a limitation, but certainly a DIY job.

Reply to
terry.shitcrumbs

As a slight departure from the theme, has anyone any experience of "overdoing things" On previous wallpapering episodes I have tended to assume that if the directions called for two packs of paste per bucket, then four packs must be twice as effective in both sliding and adhesive power. Two problems have resulted, shrinkage and the deposits on vinyl wallpaper were hard to remove. Oddly enough even with a higher than specified paste ratio and a very liberal coating of paste onto both paper and wall, the edges are still prone to lifting. The walls were cleaned and coated with a prelimenary brush of dilute paste and allowed to dry thoroughly before the papering.

I suppose I should follow instructions to the letter, but it seems odd that more paste = less adhesion, or is there something I've overlooked?

Regards

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp