Wallpaper paste

Just put up lining paper and the finish paper I got is paste the wall type. As it's going over lining paper would normal paste be OK to use or should I get paste the wall paste.

Reply to
Trevor Smith

its been used for an awful long time

Reply to
tabbypurr

It's still gluing the same two substances together. I don't see why it makes a difference to which you apply it first.

As an experiment I tried pasting the wall instead of the paper, with ordinary paper and paste. No difference in the eventual stuckness.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Thanks for the advice, this is the first time I've used paste the wall paper so I just wanted to be sure.

Reply to
Trevor Smith

The advantage of pasting the paper shows up when the walls are anything less than perfectly flat: after a good soak, the paper has just enough stretch to enable nice, even, butt joints and to mould around external corners (only by half an inch or so, of course).

Reply to
Kevin

Agreed. I've used "paste the wall" papers quiet a few times, and after hanging the first couple of lengths quickly reverted to pasting the paper and letting it soak for 5-10 minutes** or so before hanging. The little bit of stretch that you get makes it much easier to get a better finish on uneven walls. I even use paste on ready pasted papers as I found that they dry out too quickly if left to soak for 5 minutes.

**Leaving one length to soak while you are hanging the previous piece gives about the right soaking time IME. Also I use a medium pile paint roller to put the paste on, much quicker and a more even coverage. Mix the paste in a square/rectangular washing up bowl and just dip the roller in.
Reply to
Davidm