Wall vent / cowls

I need to provide an appropriate amount of ventilation for an LPG hob in my kitchen. The cooker is close to french doors in the garden, and my plan is to have 2 or more smallish vents put in the wall above the doors (comfortably 2ft of space between the top of the doors and the ceiling.

I've seen some dark metal cowls for the interior of the vent, a sort of a quarter of a sphere, or like an elbow joint to that the opening faces downwards. Unfortunately I can't remember where they were (I have vague memories of a Screwfix leaflet, but I can't find them on the website).

Anyone have any recommendations? preferably dark / anthracite / case iron looking, but brushed/stainless steel at a push.

Reply to
seani

A bit of a follow-up, and different but related question.

The first (large) quote I had for this specified that the room would need extra ventilation/airbricks at an area of about 1' square. Didn't ask about the suze of the room etc.

A second quote had a look at the room and said additional ventilation was unnecessary. I double-checked the installation manual, and it just says that the hob must be installed in accordance with BS5440.

My reading of the bits I could find of these regs. is that for the size of room in question, additional ventilation is unnecessary for anything over 20m3

The kitchen is 6m x 3m x 2+m high for a grand total of 36m3. It has an "openable" window and double french doors, and is connected by an open arch to another room, about 3m x 4m x 2+m. I make that another 24m3 for a grand total of 60m3.

unnecessary? I've tried to find a downloadable copy of BS5440, but no joy.

Reply to
seani

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 04:56:50 -0700, seani mused:

Is that what they actually said? Usually you would quote ventialtion grille size in a free air space term. 1' square would basically be a

1' square hole in the wall, or an open window. Tad excessive, or someone doesn't know what's going on.
Reply to
Lurch

To be fair, I wasn't party to that exact conversation, so it may be Chinese whispers. The second engineer said no additional ventilation was needed, and is finishing off tomorrow, so hoorah.

Reply to
Sean Inglis