Wall to wall computer desk (2 stations) - ideas?

Me and the missus have each a computer desk in what is affectionately refered to as the toy room (no!, not what you was thinking, but we're both avid computer gamers).

What I'd like to do is get rid of the two very different computer desks, and the various cheap pine shelves that we have and replace with a fitted wall to wall computer desk.

The room is approx 9ft by 6 ft, intend to run a desk along the long wall.

Ideally, I'd like a desk with upto 80cm depth, and with a contoured shape (i.e. bells out at each end for the two work centres, and is narrower towards the middle - just for storage and the like. Symetrical (mirroed) design, of course, for the two of us.

Fully intend to run battons back and sides for the main supports, and use the "breakfast bar" type legs that you can buy from B&Q / Homebase along the front edge.

Which leaves me with one main quandry... what to use as the material for the desktop. Obviously I need something reasonably heavy duty which is dimensionally stable and rigid. Immediate choice there would be ply (22mm?) or blockboard.

Then comes the problem of finishing the desktop - ply has the obvious problem of splintering around the edges, blockboard I can imagine giving all sorts of grief with the composite nature (with the inner "blocks" giving a poor edged finish.

There's also the issue of bevelling the working edge, or chamferring or rounding it. I have a decent router, so the mechanics of this isn't difficult, but the only question is the effect on the material (e.g. ply

- exposing the layers, blockboard exposing the cladding / blocks).

One possible solution that I can think of is to tack a beading strip along the edge of a blockboard desktop, assuming the beading strip would be flexible enough to follow the contour of the desktop shape.

Anyone had any experience of this, or pass on any suggestions as to suitable materials to consider?

Mike

Reply to
Mike Dodd

| Me and the missus have each a computer desk in what is affectionately=20 | refered to as the toy room (no!, not what you was thinking, but we're=20 | both avid computer gamers). |=20 | What I'd like to do is get rid of the two very different computer = desks,=20 | and the various cheap pine shelves that we have and replace with a=20 | fitted wall to wall computer desk.

Kitchen worktop?

--=20 Dave Fawthrop Register your mobile phone=20 IMEI *free* on

Keep the username and password. =20 If it gets stolen report it your provider to get it blocked. To hopefully get it back report on
or 08701 123 123.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

I hate to say it, but MDF could be the thing here....

Reply to
David P

Not wide enough, in 95% of the cases (want an available depth of 80cm in places), and too straight (want some "character" about it).

Had thought long and hard about it, though.

Thanks, anyway

Reply to
Mike Dodd

Aye, was thinking that, but unsure how to finish the MDF surface?, it's got to be presentable. At least with blockboard you have a grained surface that'd take a stain / varnish (or am I thinking of something else?)

Also, edges would look shoddy after any short time, and planing / routing a corner would feather the finish.

Would need to be veneered, but unsure how I'd even start with that.

Thanks anyway

Reply to
Mike Dodd

There's the type intended for breakfast bars; ie post-formed on both edges - I'm sure that's more than 80cm wide.

Can't help with the 'character' issue; but can't help thinking that kitchen worktop is the obvious solution...!

David

Reply to
Lobster

You can buy laminate that resembles different patterns of worktops to cover the top of the MDF.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

You can buy laminate that resembles different patterns of worktops to cover the top of the MDF.

Or cover it with formica

Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Hmmm, interesting (and a potential solution) - what is "laminate"?, I assume several bonded layers of veneer?

If so, then if you don't mind a few questions:-

(1) Easy supplier?, are we talking timber merchants or sheds? (can't remember seeing any of this stuff in B&Q)

(2) Available sizes?, Ideally looking for a "roll" (it's flexible, isn't it?) either full length (3600mm) or 2xhalf lengths(2x1800) - I intend to build the desk in 2 halves for ease of installation / available board sizes.

(3) How to bond to MDF? Presumabley any wood glue?

(4) How flexible? (could it be taken around a 1/2" quarter radius?)

(5) How expensive? (£1/m2, £10/m2, £100m/2?)

Reply to
Mike Dodd

Yes, the 5% left (from the 95% of cases) was the breakfast bar stuff, I did know about it. Just can't help but think that it'll look too much like a breakfast bar and not enough like a computer desk.

There's some reasonable patterns, too, and the surface will be hard wearing, but I think I'll have to see how the land lays, so to speak, with the missus before going any further with that idea.

Thanks

(hmmm, maybe the character can come from the ancillary bits - monitor shelves and the like)

Reply to
Mike Dodd

Depends how much you plan to spend. I've used wide pine boards. They're easy to cut and join. If you use 28mm they need little support. A 25 x 50 batten at the back and sides with some additional support in the middle front. Perhaps the tubular legs? A bit of work on the sanding and about five coats of varnish rubbed down between the last three and it will look really good. You can jig saw or rout to the curved shape you want then sand to a smooth edge.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

I agree. 18mm for the main worktop, edge it with another strip maybe 4" wide glued to the edge to make it look thicker. Rout the edge and paint it.

Dave

Reply to
david lang

What sort of 'colour' do you want? Something 'wooden'? Or something 'painted'?

Reply to
David P

I've fitted 'dark oak' round edged worktop to my hardwood framed computer desk. It will support any weight of computer gear thrown at it without seriously deflecting. It looks fine.

The same worktop would probably look naff in a kitchen.

Reply to
<me9

Isnt an 8*4 2400 * 1200?

Reply to
David P

Let your router get it's teeth into something like this?

Andy Burns

before machining £400+ of timber?

:)

Actually, a good idea, but I might try a small scale mock-up to see if I can joint boards myself.

Thanks

Reply to
Mike Dodd

Wooden, so I quite like Peter's suggestion, might try a small mock up over XMas

Reply to
Mike Dodd

Well you don't have to go for the ash then, the rubberwood is a 1/3 the=20 price if you're trying to tell all and sundry you've got nuts the size=20 of raisins :-P

Reply to
Andy Burns

Anyone going to claim they've got the cojones to carve up the =A3993

3m length of Wenge? You wouldn't want much waste at that price ...
Reply to
Andy Burns