wall tiling ?

Having measured the height of the wall to be tiled it looks like I will have a gap of 34mm at either the top or bottom of the wall. How would you best deal with this?

A narrow cut of tile or some other method? If a narrow cut of tile then at the bottom or top?

I could use 5mm spacers to lessen it but would prefer using 3mm spacers.

Reply to
ss

Id take it off top and bottom tiles.

So instead of 34 mm of one set of tiles, take a bit off two or more sets..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reply to
S Viemeister

Reply to
Tim Lamb

34mm is not a narrow cut :) I had If a narrow cut of tile then at the bottom or top?

Top I think - people don't get up close there.

Don't go heavy on the spacers - I did on the floor tiles and it's a mistake - you end up with a massive grout line = a massive stripe when it gets grubby.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yes I plan to use 3mm for walls and floor.

Reply to
ss

But it is rather more visible there.

I agree that tiles with a bit off at the top and the bottom generally looks better.

Reply to
jack

As lots of people have already said, don't start with a full tile at the bottom, and equalise the top and bottom part tiles.

As an alternative, if you can find some compatible border tiles which are 34mm (or a bit more) wide, you could create an "effect" by putting a row of those half way up the wall.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Have you taken into account of a skirting board or similar?

For the floor I used 5mm spacers. I take what others say, but not sure if 3mm gap for a 500mm tile would look right?

Reply to
Fredxxx

What is the size of the tile. With very large tiles a cut of 34mm may look out of place.

I'm in the process of tiling my bathroom with 500mm (x 250mm) tiles and to avoid narrow cuts I've elected for a higher wastage and have used a

300mm cut tile at the bottom and similar at the top. Unfortunately the off cuts don't fit anywhere else so I'll end up with 25% wastage.

In my 1905 property none of the walls are square and the floor ceiling height one end of the room is 15mm different to the other end. If your property is similar make sure you calculate the spacing based on the worst case measurement or your 34mm may end up as, say 15mm in the bit that anyone will notice first.

Reply to
alan_m

Tile size 25 x 40 cm

Reply to
ss

Neither - move the tiles down a bit to make the top section bigger, so you get half (ish) a tile at top and bottom.

Generally try and avoid narrow slips of tile (especially near corners (where they may any error in the square of the wall very obvious)

Reply to
John Rumm

Measure to the centre of the wall and put the centre of a tile on that line. Then there will be no narrow cuts.

When measuring one always has to decide whether to put a joint on the centre line of the wall or a tile.

Reply to
harry

Or simp0ly fill the 34mm top gap with grout.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

OMG

Reply to
stuart noble

it depends on the look you want. I've fished tiles before the ceiling, applied a coving over the last bit and painted it, or used grout to fill quite wide gaps. All look ok.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That depends on the size of the tile, the length of the wall, floor(skirting) to ceiling height. You could end up with small slithers of tile top and bottom AND left and right

Reply to
alan_m

Slivers are fine if they're accurately cut and the wall is sound. Slither describes what can happen to an unsupported tile when gravity wins over suction :-)

Reply to
stuart noble

Combination of methods in my bathroom: a strip of narrow border tiles, the top of the tiles not quite reaching the ceiling, and a suspended ceiling which hangs below the top of the tiles.

Reply to
DJC

No, you can always avoid "slivers" by doing either one or the other. Think about it.

Reply to
harry