Wall removal - help!

Hi guys - hope you can help.

I have removed the plaster board from my chimney breast. The idea being that I will build a frame for my new LCD TV, cover with drywall and get a plasterer in to complete.

However, having removed the board it appears to have been 'dabbed' onto the breeze-block wall of the chimney. This has mostly come-off but I am left with a number of random 'dabs' on the wall. Can anyone tell me the best method for removing these as I would like a flat wall to start on.

Cheers,

Steve

Reply to
mountfords

Just a lump hammer and bolster chisel. Doesn't need to be perfectly flat if you're dry-walling it.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Gosh, that sounds *frightfully* difficult. Get a man in.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I know, it does sound a bit lame! :)

The one or two I have managed to remove have taken a reasonable chunk of the breeze block out so I wondered if there was anything that would help to break them down - water, chemicals etc?

Reply to
mountfords

Buy a cheap saw and cut them off. Patch the breezecrap with garden clay or almost anything else.

I hate that czd. I wonder why people use it. It might make sense if it came in 8 x 4 ft blocks.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

No quoting, but I've a load on, so am telepathetic. I *know*. Give the dabs a light fast tap or two with a smorl hammer to crack 'em before going at them sideways at a shallow angle with a hammer and bolster.

'night.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Oooh ar, that'd be neat. I wonder how much ity reeyly mattrs.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Grinder, cut a series of channels down the blobs(to the breeze block surface obviously),and then chisle of with an old wood chisle.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Here's the chisel and off before the pedantics appear. :-P

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Or even pedants......

:-)

Reply to
The Wanderer

Planning on putting the flat panel above the fireplace is the first mistake. It should be closer to eye height. Add to that it sounds like youre planing on boxing it in which'll make it overheat.

Reply to
marble

I nearly wrote that! - but then realised the OP doesn't actually mention a fireplace, and the presence of existing plasterboard made me think it more likely there isn't one, and therefore he's planning on fitting the thing at a sensible height.

I agree that it's very odd how many people seem to be fitting these things above the mantlepiece. Trouble is, in the conventional/traditional living room arrangement, IME you have chairs arranged around the fireplace, with the TV to one side or in the corner. That's fine with a 24" box, but in most places there isn't room for a

40" flatscreen job to sit there or evan attach to the wall next to the chimmney breast. It would certainly put me right off buying one.

David

Reply to
Lobster

.

Who knows? He has smashed the plaster off the wall to fit a TV ;)

It replaces the print of a couple of naked cherubs watching a sunset over the sea with horses splashing through the surf. Also the neigbours can see it from the road.

A screen that size doesn't make sence with our current broadcast TV. When HDTV comes along maybe it will but untill then my 28" IDTV is good enough to fall asleep infront of.

Reply to
marble

The plan is to build an extension to the chimney breast wall - bringing it out by a few inches. Where the file was there should be a small recess for ornaments etc, no fire surround (obviously) meaning the screen will be mounted much lower. I have allowed for the minimum air space recommended by Sony also. I knocked up a before and after type image - see below - comments welcome!

Before -

-

mountfords

'asn't that Roof Kelly got a list of pedants ...? Nah, 'ang on .... she -'ain't got a list of pedants ..... but she's 'set up an inquiry'!

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

the centre of the 'telly' should be five-degrees or so downwards. [Your _before_ looked about right] Tilting your head back to allow an upward sight-line leads to neck-ache.

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

be dark as the vertical viewing angle of the Sony's very poor compared to CRT and plasma.

My mate positioned his 32" Sony LCD above the fire place in house, has was having organisms about how good it looked etc, standing in the room at a distance it looked good, going up close looked as good as LCD gets (crap basically, escaped pixels all over the place), but disadvantage was found as soon as you sat down, picture was dark and unwatchable

Anyway ended up placing it on a 2 shelf stand thing in front of the fire place (disused) so that your eye height when stting down is in the centre third of the screen as recommended by manufacturer, which is why they can supply a shelf/stand that positions it at the right height for optimal viewing.

Reply to
Ian_m

Suppose it could be mounted slightly tilted to allow for that?

I reckon there will be a big market in contraptions to support/hang/display/use these things (if there isn't already?). I envisage various heavy-duty trapezium(?) or angle-poise-type brackets whereby the TV can be stored away flat against a wall and brought out quickly and easily, to be positioned at whatever height's required for whoever's viewing it.

David

Reply to
Lobster

We've got one for our computer screen as we have no space for a desk (we also have cordless keyboard + mouse and use a large wooden chopping board as a mousemat).

The monitor arm is rated for much higher weights than our 17" and the holes for fixing them to the screens are a VESA standard. I suspect many larger LCD TVs would be happy to sit off it.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

...at which point, give up on the HDTV and get a nice (cheaper) PJ and invest a couple of hundred in a different screen.

As someone's tag-line once read... "You measure your screen in inches?, how quaint"

Reply to
Mike Dodd