wall preparation / burglar alarm questions

156 zones, some with timed entry / exit for cleaners, other zones with keyed isolation that security guards could used to go on their rounds. Main points have a local and remote audible ping, warning of entry into a resticted area, with a delay of 20 seconds before a full alarm is generated. Other areas used when and if needed, and are controlled from the security office, and anyone using those areas has to present a token to the entry door, which then tells the security office that the person has arrived at the point they should be at and nowhere else.

Then a painter knocks the cover off a dual-tech PIR and all hell breaks loose on the tamper system, which was also zoned because of the size of the system, I'm glad to say, but it shows you that a tamper is needed on any system, no matter how big or small. It's there for a really good reason.

With only a local panel sounder, the painter hears nothing, by the time a security guard gets to the area, the painter has picked up the cover and replaced it with no one knowing. The job of finding the fault is made much more difficult by the fact that, the faulty detector is now diguised by the painter replacing the front cover. But, due to the tamper circuit doing its job properly, the painter got such a fright and left everything alone where it fell, and the job of finding the faulty detector is made really easy because the young painter is spinning around in shock in the noisy corridor saying "sorry" every couple of seconds.

With a high security system like this one, the slightest thing out of place could cost millions to put right, so, although we are insured as a company, it is better to get it right on something as important as this.

Boy !!! Those were the days. :-))

Reply to
BigWallop

Not when the screws are undone on the outside box, even when unset.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

But unless you're using a four zoned panel to cover a building the size of Buckingham Palace, which is possible with booster power supplies by the way, then there aren't many places to look for faults or intruders. And by the time you got to the control panel to see where it is indicating, your ass could possibly be grass as walk straight in to the intruder.

The same sameness is creeping back in. AAAAAaaaaaarrrrrggggh !!!!!!!

:-)) LSMIPM

Reply to
BigWallop

"Not" (?) when the screws are undone on the outside box ???? So what is inside to tell you that someone has pinched your external sounder ?

Ah Ha !!! It's one of Exitdoors installations. (I claim my five pounds)

LOL :-)) (really sorry, I just can't resist these temptations)

Reply to
BigWallop

It's one of Exitdoors installations.

What the F*** is a Exitdoors installation?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Sorry Adam ! And especially SORRY !!! to Exiddor. And all this time I've been reading it as Exitdoor.

Me' needs new Gregory's, me' is finkin' :-(

Reply to
BigWallop

The point is the fault can be anywhere on a *single* tamper loop. Is

*all* your wiring surface mounted so you can at least visually inspect it. Doesn't help with a staple slowly cutting through the insulation over a number of years. Do the premises you install systems in *never* have mice or rats? Or even the occupiers bashing an exposed cable.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice