wall preparation / burglar alarm questions

Page 1 of 2
We've finally got round to starting redecorating the house we moved into
last year and have got a couple of questions -
It's a modern house with plasterboard walls. We've stripped the vinyl wallpaper with a steamer. This has left us with some small expanses of bare plasterboard, and larger areas of a coat of vinyl paint, much of which is smooth but some of which as bubbled under the steamer - what's the best way to attack it and end up with a smooth surface ?
We removed a dado rail which had been stuck to the wallpaper. Unfortunately, the glue had soaked through the wallpaper and in some places has taken the top layer of plasterboard off - whats the best thing to fill it with.
and finally, burglar alarm sensor in one corner of the room is loose and needs re-attaching. You have to open the sensor to get at the screw, but every time you open the sensor case, the alarm goes off, even though the alarm is switched off. (the alarm is a 'logic 400; with 4 key positions - off, test, part and full - we rarely turn it on, and its off now)
and thoughts appreciated
Mike
Add pictures here
βœ–

At least this proves the anti-tamper circuit is working. To turn this off, you usually need to know the engineering code.
--
*Money isn‘t everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch

βœ–
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 09:22:28 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@sandway.fsbusiness.co.uk wrote:

Turn the key to the "Test" position before opening the sensor. This will inhibit the tamper circuit.
--
Exiddor.

Add pictures here
βœ–

Ta, I'll try that at the weekend - don't like disturbing the neighbours after work !
Add pictures here
βœ–

test to disable the tamper. And sometimes from off to full and then back to off or test.
Adam
Add pictures here
βœ–
And anyway, the outside bell "shouldn't" be going if the system isnt set.
--
Regards

SantaUK
βœ–
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 23:48:38 +0100, SantaUK wrote:

Pretty sure a Self Activating Bell will if it loses volts on the hold off loop. Stops people quietly cutting the cable between it and the panel.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

βœ–

What's the purpose of an anti-tamper loop, then?
--
*I believe five out of four people have trouble with fractions. *

βœ–
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 10:43:54 +0100, Dave Plowman wrote:

Errm, to prevent tampering :-) Seriously, breaking the tamper circuit in an unset system will activate the internal sounders only. This will give notice of any tampering or fault on the circuits while the system is unset.
If the system is set, breaking the tamper circuit will give a full alarm - this will activate external monitoring and/or all internal/external sounders depending on the system.
Believe me, I know - I have one of the subject panels in my house (as well as being an alarm service engineer for 38 years). BTW, there is no engineer code for this panel - it's an old key-operated unit.
--
Exiddor.

Add pictures here
βœ–

So your tamper system only sounds at the panel ? Brilliant !!!! I must follow you around after you've done any service work. Should make me'self a few bob, stealing the external sounders.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 04:23:29 GMT, BigWallop wrote:

Try reading what I said again.
--
Exiddor.

Add pictures here
βœ–

And read what I said again.
After you've serviced the system, it is more than likely that the people are still in the house with the alarm "Unset". So following you around, I should be able to take the external sounder off the wall and be away on my toes, well before the occupier has realised what the F is going on and begins fiddling with the control.
So agian, I'll repeat. I should be able to make me'self a few bob on external sounders if I follow you around.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 06:59:26 GMT, BigWallop wrote:

That's one of the reasons for having a SAB/SCB.

Feel free - any of the major banks in the Manchester area. You might be in for a little surprise though :-)
--
Exiddor.

Add pictures here
βœ–

So you don't loop tamper the Self Activating Bell with the rest of the system tamper ? Or do you isolate the tamper on the external sounder from the rest of the system in some way ?
Every tamper switch, on all our systems at least, are interconnected by default. So if one goes active, they all go active, including the external sounders. And any anti-tamper system, I am aware of anyway, should be fully active continually, be the system set or unset. I thought the whole point of having an anti-tamper system, looped around all connected appliances and peripherals, was there to give a warning of someone or something interfering with what shouldn't be interfered with, and it should give this warning through all connected sounder and other indicator devices, which, to me and many others in my neck of the woods, means the external sounder as well as internal.
But being twenty years in the security trade, and after designing and beta testing some the leading systems on the current market, I might still be wrong in this point and would love to hear from anyone who knows what I've been doing wrong all this time.
--
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

βœ–
On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 08:12:40 GMT, BigWallop wrote:

This discussion is really getting a little too detailed for a public newsgroup. For obvious reasons I'd prefer to take this to email if you'd care to continue.
My email address on this article is valid and is checked about once a day.
--
Exiddor.

Add pictures here
βœ–

No, thank you. Please don't take offence at the refusal, it's just that I don't like talking business when I'm relaxing at the computer. I do enough when on these crazy shifts, so when the chance comes to diversify on to other things in here, then I jump at it. After all these years of the same Sameness, I find it is not worth arguing over others opinions of what the sameness should be.
--
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

βœ–
On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 08:36:41 GMT, Exiddor wrote:

Spherical objects. Any tealeaf worth his salt already knows how alarm systems work and may well have a better knowledge of more systems than a so called alarm engineer does.
I detect some one trying to hide behind the rocket science of alarms systems. Damn stupid 'cause rocket science they aren't. Now multiple zone panels, with multiple part sets and multiple user levels are another kettle of fish but that doesn't affect the simple wiring interconnecting sensors and the panel.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
βœ–

156 zones, some with timed entry / exit for cleaners, other zones with keyed isolation that security guards could used to go on their rounds. Main points have a local and remote audible ping, warning of entry into a resticted area, with a delay of 20 seconds before a full alarm is generated. Other areas used when and if needed, and are controlled from the security office, and anyone using those areas has to present a token to the entry door, which then tells the security office that the person has arrived at the point they should be at and nowhere else.
Then a painter knocks the cover off a dual-tech PIR and all hell breaks loose on the tamper system, which was also zoned because of the size of the system, I'm glad to say, but it shows you that a tamper is needed on any system, no matter how big or small. It's there for a really good reason.
With only a local panel sounder, the painter hears nothing, by the time a security guard gets to the area, the painter has picked up the cover and replaced it with no one knowing. The job of finding the fault is made much more difficult by the fact that, the faulty detector is now diguised by the painter replacing the front cover. But, due to the tamper circuit doing its job properly, the painter got such a fright and left everything alone where it fell, and the job of finding the faulty detector is made really easy because the young painter is spinning around in shock in the noisy corridor saying "sorry" every couple of seconds.
With a high security system like this one, the slightest thing out of place could cost millions to put right, so, although we are insured as a company, it is better to get it right on something as important as this.
Boy !!! Those were the days. :-))
--
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

βœ–

But warn who? Does the whole street need to know you just put a nail through an alarm cable, or just those in the household? A false alarm of this nature is very likely to make a genuine alarm ignored. Anti-tamper system should certainly be active all the time, but that doesn't mean it always has to generate the same type of alarm (panel capabilities permitting).
--
Andrew Gabriel

Add pictures here
βœ–