Wall or base cabinets first ?

After a delay of several weeks I'm finally ready to start installing the cabinets in my kitchen.

The instructions from Wickes say to start with the base cabinets and then do the wall ones. However to my mind it would be easier to do the wall cabinets first as the base ones wouldn't be getting in the way nor would they be covered in dust and debris from drilling etc

Am I missing something obvious and is there a recommended procedure when installing a kitchen ?

Cheers

Jim

Reply to
Jim

I have always done the base's first then measured the height from them to get the wall units right and aligned correctly, and that's that how a kitchen fitter friend works as well

Reply to
Kevin

It can also be easier to tile the gap first. Then you can rest the cabinets on them rather than having to cut a fiddly little bit out because you measured wrongly

tim

Reply to
tim.....

If you do the wall cabs first then you hit your head against them when doing the base cabs.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I thought the same, but it's better than banging your head as you position the units and get the work tops in,

Reply to
Chewbacca

By fitting the base units first, I found it easier to work on my own fitting the upper cabinets using 2 pieces of wood to support them while marking the wall for drilling and screwing them to the wall. Looking back to doing our kitchen, I would make 2 towers with a wide base and put an adjustment screw in the top. Fit under the wall cabinet and adjust the height as required. You can get metric threaded knock in wood nuts and use hex bolts to fit to adjust where the wall cupboards are not parallel to each other. Just remember to drill a hole in the top of the tower to accommodate the bolt tail.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Thanks to everyone that replied, looks like the base cabinets are going in first :)

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Do you have to say "see you Jimmy" as you do so?

:-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Depends if you're wearing a "See you jimmy" style safety bump cap :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

There are loads of reasons why that is the correct decision.

Reply to
stuart noble

On the Wickes wall cabs that I just fitted, there was wall hangers for them, and precise measurements for positioning them on the instructions. I just used a B&D laser level, marked the line at each cabinet position, then marked the hanger bracket positions on that line and as appropriate for the size of cab, per the instructions. Drilled and plugged the wall and mounted the brackets. The cabs then just very easily lift on, and secure, very well I might add, by tightening two screws. Any mispositioning of the brackets from drill wander or whatever, was very easily taken out, by the levelling screws, which had a great deal of range - probably +/- 5mm at least. All very easy, requiring no special jigs or aids to be made or used.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily