Wall Mounted toilet on tile wall

Hi guys,

First post although I have been reading on various subjects for a while.

I have purchased a Grohe frame which I have bolted to the wall and floor, covered in 18mm WBP ply and then tiled. I left it a day or two and then bolted the toilet on, no problem.

I have now noticed that the bottom two tiles have cracked from the pressure of the toilet bearing down (toliet anchors at the top so there is quite a lot of pressure near the U bend). I am quite heavy but obviously I cant have this happening again. Has anyone any tips on how I could do this better?

I thought I did the bolts up pretty tight (the toilet would not move by hand). Should I hav eput something between the porcelain and the ceramic tile or waited longer before sitting on it?

Any help greatfully apprecaited.

Dave

Reply to
DaveChester

Ideas: Stiffer backboard, stronger tiles, tile around rather than behind loo, make up a small panel or plate to sandwich between loo and tiles to cover the broken ones - and/or to spread the load better in future.

Reply to
dom

I installed a Grohe frame, and had a similar problem as my 18mm MDF backing board bent slightly under the lever force created at the base of the toilet. Seems to be a design flaw in the frame that there is no crossbar for the base of the toilet to rest against.

My solution was just to wedge some wooden braces between the board and the rear wall to stop the flexing. If you're lucky you'll still be able to insert some offcuts through the hole for the U-bend if you can dismantle it in situ.

Vaci

Reply to
Vaci

18mm WBP is pretty soft. I'd say it has distorted locally.

Either do up less tight, or munge some silicone behind to spread the load. Or use better tiles..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher