Wall Clock

I have a fairly recent quartz wall clock which looks just right for its situation. Chrome surround, black face and chrome hands etc. And it is playing up. Looked on Ebay and several suppliers but can't find one the same or close.

The mechanism appears to be screwed in place. Are they all of a standard size so could be replaced? How about the hands?

Ideally a radio controlled one would be perfect - the exiting one isn't.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A lot of clocks use the same type of standardised mechanism, but not all. Last time I wanted a new machanism, Agros were selling wallclocks for =A33, and you could take them back if not suitable.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Near enough. The cases vary in size, but the central mounting threads are close enough that it works. Even modern push-on hands are swappable: plastic ones are mostly the same size and brass hands can have their collars adjusted by bending.

I buy my cheapies (for clocks for retail sale onwards) from Ikea. They keep good time and last a few years.

Radio clocks are cheap enough, although check the setting instructions. Some of the cheapest radio clocks are a real pain to adjust! (Yes, you have to pre-adjust the hands, then they merely fine- tune forwards from the signal).

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I've changed a few movements. The critical dimensions are, obviously, the diameter of the hole, but equally important the length of the threaded part. They vary a lot as perhaps you've found out and usually have to be longer than you'd expect. Needs careful measurement and thought. Don't forget the depth of the locking nut.

Can't find the address of the last supplier I used but a quick Alta Vista search turned up

This has some hints for beginners.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

Google quartz clock movement or mechanism

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

What's the fun in that? ;-)

I found radio controlled movements on Ebay for not a lot - but would like to use the original hands, which are chrome.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

With a bit of ingenuity it?s possible to fit almost any movement into a wall clock

has now got a poundshop quartz movement, the original hands are glued on top of the poundshop ones.

-
Reply to
Mark.

In message , Andy Dingley writes

Not had that issue with any of ours, even the cheapie ones from Argos. Pop in the batteries and leave them to it.

Reply to
chris French

I have one from TLC that tells the time well enough. Its faults are that _every_ night at 1:15am it resets itself by sending the hands through a full 12 hour cycle, pausing for a few minutes at the 00:00, before arriving at the correct time around 1:20. It also has a temperature display, designed by someone who put a gauge reading C on a scale more appropriate to F. So the needle always hovers very close to 20C whatever the temperature. If it ever does move to the side of the dial marked 140C I probably won't be in any condition to read it.

Reply to
djc