Wall cavity insulation

Hi, A friend of mine is having cavity wall insulation done. She had a company come in to get an estimate and she was told that as she had an open fire she would have to pay an extra =A360 for the installation of a core vent. When she questioned this she was told that it was the law. Could someone tell us if this is the case or if the guy was just trying to get the most out of her. Thank you for your help.

Reply to
egcunn

I'm guessing here, but I would think he is reffering to the need to have a vent in the room to provide air so the fire can draw properly.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was a building regs requirement (we were told we would need something similar for our wood burner (though in the event the co forgot to fit it, and we didn't remind them (it draws fine))

If this is going into a cavity wall either as a new fit or to replace an existing vent, then =A360 doesn't sound too bad if it includes supply and fit (especially if they have to start from scratch).

It will I presume need to be built like a tunnel through both walls. Don't understand why this doesn't count as bridging the gap and potentially cause damp problems, then again I don't understand why cavity insulation doesn't do that either.

Reply to
zikkimalambo

Yes, open fires need ventilation in order to avoid the production of poisonous carbon monoxide and to prevent the exhaust fumes spilling into the room. I've got one of those horrible vents in my front room. Not only is it horrendously ugly, but it also allows enough cold air in to make an energy efficiency a mockery. I usually contrive some way of blocking it up. I might go for squirty foam as a more permanent solution. We don't use the fire.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

The BEST way to ventilate a fire is with underfloor ducting to the fire itself.

Wall vents are vile: they admit as much cold as air.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

|> A friend of mine is having cavity wall insulation done. She had |> a company come in to get an estimate and she was told that as she |> had an open fire she would have to pay an extra ?60 for the |> installation of a core vent. | |Yes, open fires need ventilation in order to avoid the production of |poisonous carbon monoxide and to prevent the exhaust fumes spilling into the |room. I've got one of those horrible vents in my front room. Not only is it |horrendously ugly, but it also allows enough cold air in to make an energy |efficiency a mockery. I usually contrive some way of blocking it up. I might |go for squirty foam as a more permanent solution. We don't use the fire.

And when you sell the house, or move out?

Far better to get rid of the open fire and install central heating with a combi room sealed boiler.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

wrote: Hi, A friend of mine is having cavity wall insulation done. She had a company come in to get an estimate and she was told that as she had an open fire she would have to pay an extra £60 for the installation of a core vent. When she questioned this she was told that it was the law. Could someone tell us if this is the case or if the guy was just trying to get the most out of her. Thank you for your help.

=================

If your friend's floor is floorboards (not concrete) and there is an air brick on an external wall ventilating the under floor space then she could ask if a floor vent can be fitted instead of having a 4 inch diameter hole bored through the wall. As far as I am aware the regulations still permit this.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

It is an Edwardian property. Removing a fireplace in our street is considered not much better than kiddie fiddling. The heating is already provided by radiator.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

In fact, our back room has such a vent for its old fireplace and it is much superior to the front room wall vent. The front room vent is capable of producing hurricane force cold winds in winter.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

|> Far better to get rid of the open fire and install central heating with a |> combi room sealed boiler. | |It is an Edwardian property. Removing a fireplace in our street is |considered not much better than kiddie fiddling. The heating is already |provided by radiator.

Then block off the *chimney*, just above the fireplace, and leave the fireplace as a feature. Because you will no longer be able to use the fire, you can also block the vent.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Indeed. That is what I was proposing, although I didn't mention the chimney.

The back room ones already have the chimney sliced off anyway, due to the loft conversion coveting the space.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

We had one of those vents, and I noticed the previous owner had blocked it with a piece of hardboard screwed over the top. But we recently had the fireplace completely removed and the wall re-plastered, which covered the vent. Although this solution may be a little extreme for the OP.

Reply to
hicks

Yes, my experience exactly. Dining room has floor ventilation and is hardly noticeable in winter. Lounge has 4 inch diameter wall hole ventilation and it would be like sitting in a cold store during winter but for the fact that I block it off.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

Nobodies asked so I will, what is this to do with cavity wall insulation?. Does this replace an existing vent or do they make a new hole?

Dave

Reply to
gort

I'm guessing here, but I would think he is reffering to the need to have a vent in the room to provide air so the fire can draw properly.

But what difference would cavity wall insulation have on ir gong into a room?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Sorry, I didn't read this post before I asked.

When we had cw insulation it was never brought up. We don't have open fires (i.e. solid fulel) but we have gas fires in two rooms and they need air just the same.

We weren't asked about fires at all.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

|I'm guessing here, but I would think he is reffering to the need to |have a vent in the room to provide air so the fire can draw properly. | |But what difference would cavity wall insulation have on ir gong into a |room?

Bunging up the cavity with fiber will reduce draughts round joists, between floors and under floors. At least my filling my cavities with foam did that.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

It can reduce the amount of natural parasitic ventilation below a safe level for an open flued appliance.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

We where asked to sign a disclaimer saying we didn't have any gas or open fires when we had our walls done a couple of months ago, we where also sent a 10yr guarantee shortly afterwards.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Cross

I have had three estimates for cavity wall and loft insulation recently. One gave no information, the second was very informative the third a little info. The informative one checked the fire, said as it was below X KW output (forgotten the figure) it was ok. He also said that as I had

2 vents, one for a toilet the other in the cloak room when the installers came they would check that they were sleeved core vents, if not they will charge £45 to replace them. Also to thoroughly check where all cables and pipes pass through the walls that both inside and out are sealed to prevent the insulation escaping. As his price was only a couple of quid above the cheapest he will get the job.
Reply to
Broadback

:-)

Can we have that in English, please?