Wall capping

I asked this Q back last year, but didn't come to a solution ... so job still outstanding.

I have 3 large raised beds in garden, I intend to clad front in wood .... so this will give me a thickness of

100 for wall + 38 counter batten + 38mm wood = ~155mm

Going to fit a 15mm nosing piece at front (aesthetic reason) and a 10mm overlap at back ... I end up with something like:

I am looking for is idea on how to clad the top ... total linear run is

45m, I don't want to go to hassle of laying individual coping stones ... and in fact to be able to fit the front nosing piece a wood 'top' is preferred.

The overall width is looking like 180mm or at least 165 is I reduced thickness of counterbatten

Needs to be capable of taking the weather, I could buy 200 x 32 treated (or possibly Thermowood) and fix that, but almost convinced myself there must be a better idea.

The cladding is Thermowood so looks like a cedar / dark pine colour

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Maybe something like a Thermo wood patio cill section?

them if they'll make a custom double-sided section for you, I doubt it'd cost much more, or get a local joinery firm to make some up.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

> Ask them if they'll make a custom double-sided section for you, I doubt

I had discounted patio cill section as only 150mm wide ... but you are right a custom section is an option.

I wonder if I can get someone who produces Thermowood to make one for me ... would match cladding then.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

I reckon you need to find a way to make sure it sheds the water otherwise no matter how wonderful thermowood is it won't last long and start moving. could you get two cill boards joined with an included angle of say 150 degrees. should still be wide enough to shed the water and not have it run down the facing boards either.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Maybe 2 lengths biscuit jointed together, is an option ...

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Often thought that decking is wrong profile for that reason ... the concave grooves actually collect water ... so accelerate the tendency to rot.

I know it's for anti-slip ... but not good for shedding water.

I mention as I had considered biscuit jointing lengths of deckling to get to correct width I need.

Reply to
Rick Hughes