Walking boots - re-sticking Vibram sole

Hi

The Vibram sole on my Asolo walking boots is coming away from the mid-sole. I've tried some "no more nails" with no success - any hints / tips as to the right way to go about putting a DIY solution into repairing? I don't w ant new soles, the existing ones are fine in terms of wear etc, and the boo ts themselves are mighty comfy!

Matt

Reply to
larkim

e. I've tried some "no more nails" with no success - any hints / tips as t o the right way to go about putting a DIY solution into repairing? I don't want new soles, the existing ones are fine in terms of wear etc, and the b oots themselves are mighty comfy!

I would tend to look at a contact adhesive like the original evo-stik (I th ink it's branded as their impact adhesive) - the type where you put it on b oth surfaces, wait until it's nearly dry then press together. I've used som ething similar on my boots with some success, though I haven't walked very many miles in them since so they've not really been tested thoroughly!

Reply to
docholliday93

I re fixed the heel section of a walking boot sole for STWNFI using silicon sealant. It was intended as temporary until we could find her some new ones, that was over a year ago. She walks the dogs in them most days!

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

I would try contacting the manufacturers, that should not happen, they may fix it for you FOC.

Reply to
Broadback

They are 13+ years old, so I doubt I'll have much mileage down that route. Perhaps worth a cost-free email though!!

Matt

Reply to
larkim

larkim :

I had a similar problem with a Meindl boot. I took it to a proper cobbler, who said that a repair wouldn't last because the problem was with the crumbling mid-sole rather than the adhesive. He did his best for £2.50, but as predicted it didn't last.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

I think this is a common problem due to the curvature of the surface and the flexing, no matter what is used it will come unglued. I've often wondered why they don't mould the lot as one lump.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Are they bloody huge, or are the dogs just very small?

Reply to
Jules Richardson
[OT-ish comment] I have little more to add to the various replies, except to pontificate that in common with most people in the UK I reckon, I used to think that Vibram was pronounced 'V-eye-bram', and was some sort of made up name relating to Vibration, or lack of it, or something, a quality of the soles.

In fact it's pronpunced 'V-ee-bram', and is simply created from the name of the (Italian) founder of the company, Vitale Bramani. A bit like Adi Dassler & Adidas.

pip pip J^n

Reply to
The Night Tripper

They're the same make as those that can house a lot of children.

Reply to
PeterC

Usually contain an old woman, too.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

... who is/was contraceptively-challenged.

There are times Wiki comes up with the goods. Compare and contract the following two versions:

There was an old woman who lived in a shoe. She had so many children, she didn't know what to do; She gave them some broth without any bread; Then whipped them all soundly and put them to bed.

[Marjorie Ainsworth Decker published a Christian version of the rhyme in her The Christian Mother Goose Book published in 1978:]

There was an old woman Who lived in a shoe, She had so many children, And loved them all, too. She said, "Thank you Lord Jesus, For sending them bread." Then kissed them all gladly and sent them to bed.

Redacted the child-abusive punishment and added the sickly sentimental lines...

Reply to
polygonum

That actually sounds like a fair description of the actual problem.

On another forum I was pointed towards

which might be an option for a non-DIY repair .

I suppose things were easier when boots were nailed together!

Matt

Reply to
larkim

I've tried some "no more nails" with no success - any hints / tips as to the right way to go about putting a DIY solution into repairing? I don't want new soles, the existing ones are fine in terms of wear etc, and the boots themselves are mighty comfy!

Check out Shoe Goo.

I used it to stick the soles back on a pair of sandals after they had parted company.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Time stands still; until I saw 1978 I would have assumed such dreary sweet sickliness was part of the Victorian era.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

which might be an option for a non-DIY repair.

I sent my walking boots there to have new Vibram soles, replace some broken speed lacing loops ..... they are a very good company

Reply to
Rick Hughes