walk in wardrobe

We are thinking of using a stud partition wall to create a walk in wardrobe in a bedroom. It would be approximately 2.7 m long and 1 m wide. There would be a door at the end (i.e. in the 1 m width). Does anyone know if permission is required to do such a thing? Also, is it likely that the weight of the long wall would be sufficient for me to need to reinforce the joists if they happen to run parallel to the long wall (I haven't looked yet!)? I've read other threads about the construction process, but any other advice would be much appreciated. Many thanks to anyone who has the knowledge and time to respond.

Reply to
kent

It would probably be more useful to have doors along the width rather than at the narrow end. With only 1m wide and nearly 3m long it will be difficult to reach things at the far end of the 'tunnel' especially when the cupboard is full of stuff.

AFAIK no, as long as you are not creating a new room nor altering the arrangement of rooms with respect to windows, escape routes etc.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

It's in your house inside....Why would you need any permissions?

Sufficient ventilation would be a good idea so your stuff don't go mouldy etc.

1m? Either you're exceptionally skinny of you are only hanging a few items in there. Naturally you'll need illumination so perhaps low power low heat LED lights would suffice to enable you to see the stored clothes.
Reply to
RW

I read in another thread about having to get permission for a stud wall because of building regs.

Ventilation is worth a few thoughts. Thanks!

I am interested in your 1m comment. Has anyone else any experience of this? What would be a minimum acceptable width?

Many thanks for your thoughts.

Reply to
kent

In article , RW writes

I've done something similar and would suggest 1.2m as the minimum internal width, 50cm will be needed for hanging space leaving 70cm for turn around & reach down room.

I wondered about lighting and ended up with a single pendant in the middle of the walking space and it works well with an 11W fluorescent bulb. Even if you put in two then it's still not a lot of heat.

I used a standard 726mm wide panel door and put a mirror on the back, watch out for the reduction in useful width just by the door.

Reply to
fred

Useful info. Thanks. What about building regs and joist load issues?

Reply to
kent

In the scheme of things it really is a minor job and outside building regs IMO [*]. The loading of this kind of partition is pretty trivial so no prob.

[*] The electrics for the lights may creep in but you'd be daft to make an application just for that, just get on with it :-).
Reply to
fred

Useful info. Thanks.

Reply to
kent

Actually not long ago I built a stud partition wall to divide a room into two - required building control - and one of the issues raised was just this. I asked a structural engineer to check the loadings as part of some other work he had to do on the same project, and it emerged that my joists were indeed lacking, and required reinforcement.

Admittedly my own joists were unusally small I think, and the OP will probably be fine; nevertheless I have to say that a blanket "no prob" is the wrong answer!

David

Reply to
Lobster

Is half the weight not suspended from the floor/loft above?

Geo

Reply to
Geo

exactly, if this layout is an optoin I'd put the door half way along the long side.

If you're not sure what width to make the whole thing, just get someone to hold up a sheet of something 1m from the wall and try walking in the space after you've imaginarily hung some clothes up there. 1m aint enough, unless you're willing to tolerate very cramped access.

I'd add one more thing: clothes will be chosen in there, so I'd consider plenty of lighting and a ful length mirror as musts. Its easy to put 2 or 3 pendant bulb holders in, which can take any size and type of bulb, and a mirror on the door - or if you dont want to have to close the door, the mirror right opposite the door where you go in.

Clothes rail at convenient height, rest of space as shelves is probably best.

As for joist loading, the weight is trivial. Any 'need' for reinforcement would be down to the need to meet BR for a new room, and nothing to do with ensuring the ability of the floor structure to safely support the new wall. A cupboard isnt a room afaik.

Oh... you could do this:

meow2222

Sorry, I sometimes forget that some posters have houses built to southern jessie standards :-P

In chunky timber and full fat 12mm PB the op's partition weighs in at

140kg which I'd view as pretty light for a spread load.
Reply to
fred

In article , Geo writes

Regular shaped partitions are more commonly built flat then raised into the vertical and fixed. My ceiling plate was just there to keep the partition in place laterally so in this case all the weight was on the floor.

Reply to
fred

I was betting the bedhead would be against the partition.

Reply to
fred

You're right, Fred!

Reply to