Waking up every day with insect bites on my legs

I rent in Central London

I leave the window open (always - for ventilation)

I am 6 floors up.

I have thoroughly cleaned the room. (the entire building itself is VERY clean and VERY well maintained)

I guess insects must be coming though the window (although I never see them)

Should I buy some chemicals to nuke everything on the carpet?

Should I put some sort of net around the window?

Reply to
roger.valentine

Clean your mattress or buy a new one.

Get some tic spray from the local chandlers spray the bed,carpet and three piece suite then hoover after 20 minutes.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Slow release vapona type Insect killers are very effective. Strong smells also repel most insects, and an old trick is to wipe paraffin around th window frame, it puts incoming insects off.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Ring your landlord and get them to sort out the infestation.

Reply to
mogga

If you are 6 floors up I guess that it isn't cats getting in and leaving fleas as they seem to be abundent at this time of the year, fleas not cats. I guess it is because they build up through the summer. I always have to give my cats good doses of treatment at this time of the year and treat the floor of the house and carpets.

Kevin

Reply to
Kev

If this is only just started and he's been in the flat some time? I doubt it has anything to do with the LL.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The Vapona "block" style insect repellent has been withdrawn, apparent cancer scare, they were handy for the loft as we get attic flies as we live near some marshy ground.

Reply to
Staffbull

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The message from snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com contains these words:

Fleas, tics or lice.

If you don't believe it, lay some strips of packing tape or Sellotape upside down on the bed and see what turns up.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "Kev" contains these words:

Ain't they just. Our cats have been free for two years - up till last weekend.

Reply to
Guy King

Where are you getting the bites? When I moved into a flat a few years ago I had a problem with fleas and the bites were mostly around ankle height, which I understand isn't unusual for fleas. The previous owner had 2 cats and, despite her saying that she'd treated them, there was still a big problem.

I tried an aerosol treatment from a local vets, but it didn't really work. In the end I got the local council round (Wandsworth) who sprayed the flat. They were far, far cheaper than the 'normal' companies, but I don't think all councils offer this kind of treatment.

I'd guess that it would be very difficult to get the landlord to do anything - most landlords would just say it was nothing to do with them & that the flat was handed over clean.

Michael

Reply to
michaeld121

The message from snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com contains these words:

A steamer works well. The little sods don't like being parboiled.

Reply to
Guy King

I used a cat flea powder from the local pet shop. Sprinkled on the bed and carpet and left for a day then hoovered it always worked.

I've also used a natural pyrethrum horse louse/mite powder from the feed store, that worked too.

Spouse hates the smell of both but I hate being bitten and sometimes we can pick up fleas from other people or their pets.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

When visiting cat left fleas at my parents' abode, Mum was pregnant and didn't want to use any chemicals.

Someone advised the family to apply vegetable oil to the ankles to stop the fleas getting any foothold. This seemed to work.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

A really thorough hoovering of carpet / skirting / matress followed by a spraying of Acclaim (from vets). Some of the off the shelf sprays from Tesco etc just don't have the guts to kill the little beggars.

Another way to convince yourself the fleas are there is to put some plastic sheeting on the floor --- you'll hear them ping off it as they jump up and hit it.

Reply to
James

Smart,Did you hear that Roger? apply veg oil to your ankles...however you will have to sleep standing up.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The message from snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com contains these words:

I thought you said they were mostly round your ankles.

Reply to
Guy King

Could be bed bugs if it's an old property

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Maybe they mistook his ankles for his b....

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

You nicked that from my Swedish chemist joke.

Reply to
Andy Hall