Wafty shed base

Customer has had a shed base laid (not by me, I turned the job down) which has turned into a bit of a disaster. Its off level by about an 1" in both directions and the surface looks like a roller coaster for mice.

They want a metal shed erected on top, but there is no way thats going to work until the base is sorted.

Initial thoughts are to erect level formwork & top the base with a little more concrete.

Is it going to bond OK to the exciting base, especially where it 'feathers'.? Would PVA help?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Simple. Get the people who did the base to dig it out and replace properly at their expense.

If cowboys are allowed to get away with crap they will remain in business.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yep, but I bet matey has now paid them and there're long away in their travillin van..

Or else he did it himself and cocked it up and is too embarrassed to admit it;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

A good concrete to concrete joint should be scabbled (mechanically roughened) - but for this application - how about just laying a course of bricks?

Reply to
dom

Wot Dave said.

But if you do end up fixing it, I wouldn't put more concrete on top, because unless you are expecting to put about >3" thickness all over you'll liable to end up with a weak layer that may crack off.

What you could do is screed it (ie sharp sand, cement, forget the pebbles). As long as that goes on > about 30mm all over (so 50mm in the off level bit) it would probably be fine and it would look dead smooth.

Keep whatever you do covered for a few days by polythene in this sun or it will fall off if it dries out without setting.

Lots of water/cement slurry on the existing concrete to assist with the bond.

You could go all the way to an SBR screed regime as mentioned recently then you could repair it down to 10mm minimum depth. Maybe the cost of the SBR will balance the saving in the materials???

Don't know what the original monkeys were doing. I can get raw concrete good to

Reply to
Tim Watts

Use an angle grinder to cut level channels, dust it off with a pressure washer and fill any unevenness with car body filler.

HTH &c

Reply to
Jon Fairbairn

I wouldn't use concrete that feathers because thin concrete will always crack, no matter what you put in it.

If the out of level is only an inch, I would erect the shed level using steel packers where the base is low, then fill the gap between the base angle and the concrete with expanding grout underpinning.

"Expanding" is a misnomer - the admixture is just enough to prevent it shrinking.

For the steel packers, go to any fabrication shop and ask for some offcuts in an assortment of thicknesses. Used in combination, these will give you packers in a range of different heights. For a small fee they will flame cut them to the size you want. For a slightly larger fee they will grind the edges flat.

Hardwood folding wedges would be an alternative.

For the expanding (non-shrink) grout, you can either buy it ready mixed in pourable or trowellable form, or use an admixture from a builder's merchant and add it to a 1:3 cement:sharp sand mix. Don't add too much admixture or it will really expand and bend the shed base!

make the grout frost resistant, SBR would be ideal if you have some, but some waterproof PVA is a cheaper alternative. After all, it's only a shed.

Reply to
Bruce

In that case probably within 30 miles of here...

More likely, I can't see how you can fup up so badly with a shed base unless they just dug a vauge hole and threw a couple of barrow loads in without any formwork at all.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Using some stuff already suggested - one course of bricks all round using variable depth mortar bed to bring the bricks level. Screed inside the bricks up level with the top. Put the shed on the bricks.

Interested as to why you turned the job down - were they not prepared to pay the price of a decent job?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

I should have asked: is the base good enough as the exposed floor? It crossed my mind briefly whether to just sort of the bit that bears the metal frame, but the base sounded so bad I defaulted to "screed it"...

Reply to
Tim Watts

But what do I do with all this WD40?

Reply to
Bruce

You can't feather concrete - you can lay a sand/cement screed, quite strong, bout 3:1 sharp sand and yes, unibond will help where it feathers to nothing

Reply to
Phil L

Hey, I already suggested that! ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

One person's shed is another person's home.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

It was actually the clients gardener.....

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Simply because humping & mixing large amounts of concrete is bloody hard work. I can earn more doing simple jobs - like changing light bulbs, putting up borders, siliconing around baths etc.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Why not get friends with a labourer or two? Get them in to do the hard work while you set it up and finish it off to perfection.

Reply to
Tim Watts

... in the drawing room with the carving knife?

Reply to
Bruce

I expect we'll see a lot of coverage of such homes in South Africa.

Reply to
Bruce

That makes life a whole lot more complicated (would Dave employ them?...) and he can make enough cash as it is picking off the easy jobs.

Why change if it works?

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman