W.C Internal Overflow

Can a loo with an external overflow be converted to internal overflow

It would mean I could loose a long run of overflow pipe

-- Regards

Hays

T610 Housings in stock now!!

hays

You can replace the syphon action flush system to a town and country one. This type of flush system is smaller, as in, the top of it is lower down in the cistern, and so when the water rises to the marked level, the flush pipe actually lets the water flow over the top and into the bowl. They are commonly used in high rise buildings.

Reply to
BigWallop

Thanks BW

I will pop into my local plumber's merchant

Regards

Hays

Reply to
hays

Yes, replace with the Flowmater valve which has built-in overflow as most valves do. Around 13 quid. BTW it means changing the lever to the supplied pushbutton. Another way is to feed the overflow pipe to a valve made for the job and then into the soil pipe. In my opinion this looks messy and the valves don't seem to be able to cope with cisterns filled by mains pressure, but you only find this out when you're on holiday and the toilet overflows :-(

Reply to
BillR

pushbutton.

Taking an overflow to the main stack is a huge No NO !. Sewer gasses stink to high heaven and that is why we normally put water traps in the waste pipes to stop this coming back into the house. The overflow being open into a sewer pipe is not the best way to go.

Reply to
BigWallop

pushbutton.

Or with a bit of DIY, you could use a Fluidmaster flap valve and your normal lever handle: a friend has one of these valves fitted on a high-level cistern, with a bit of 15mm tube, partially flattened at one end, fixed to the lever arm to extend it to where it connects to the chain that pulls up the flap of the flap valve. He also has a bit of bend stainless steel wire arranged as a hook for this extended lever arm to fall back on in its rest position.

Actually almost any syphon-type flush valve will work as an internal overflow, as when the water level in the cistern rises higher than the U bend at the top of the valve it will flow down the flush pipe. Problem is this level is higher than the inlet, overflow and handle holes in yer average cistern.

I hope you mean into the flush pipe, not the soil pipe! As CodsWallop* pointed out that's a bit smelly!

  • :-)

-- John Stumbles

-+

Reply to