VW. Some news at last!

That sounds about right.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hasn't very recent legislation reconfirmed that a UK retailer cannot palm off a sale of goods problem to a manufacturer?

In the UK a customer has the legal right to get the retailer to to fix the problem within a very short time scale, or return the money.

I wonder how long before we all start getting cold calls " have you been miss-sold PPI or a diesel VW ......."?

And how long it will be before the VW financially takes down a few large dealerships?

Reply to
alan_m

new rules only apply to new sales.

historic sales will have the old rights

(Having said that, the old rules made this the retailer's problem, but the old statutory remedy is less clear)

correct

few of the cars in question qualify as sold within a "very short time" (which case law establish was a very low number of weeks)

They will look after the dealers, it's pointless not to

tim

Reply to
tim.....

That's been the case for many years now. The recent change doesn't change it AFAIK.

The recent change more closely defines matters such as the exact meaning of "fix the problem" and "very short time scale".

Note that car dealers are not car retailers. They negotiate a contract between the customer and the manufacturer. They're not responsible for the goods in the way a retailer is. Your contract is with VW, not the dealer.

While we're talking about terminology I'll add that the VWs are not being "recalled". Recalls are for safety and similar issues only. Legal and insurance issues concerned with recalls do not apply.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

OOI, what are they calling this non-recall recall, then?

Reply to
Tim Streater

We'll have to wait and see when it happens.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

More likely they will poison exactly the same number of asthma sufferers but less severely, don't you think?

Reply to
polygonum