VW automatic parking brake. etc

In the handbook for the Mondeo Mk III and IV, it specifically instructs that you do not lift the latch, but jerk the brake on, whilst depressing the brake pedal. I assume that there must have been runaway incidents.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I recall seeing a money-saving tip to construct one using an empty salmon paste jar.

The next best option was heating systems that could provide cold air at face level, whilst still heating your feet. It seems strange that there is now much more sophisticated control, with full aircon, yet you can't have warmth and fresh air together.

My first Volvo 240 had what seemed like a great facility on a hot day, before aircon - each front foot well had a lever which opened a vent admitting air from outside. The next model still had the grille in the internal trim, but no vent. Perhaps some killjoy had looked at the flow of brake pad dust. :-(

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I'm guessing that the rules haven't caught up with technology.

Consider filament headlamp bulbs, you can legally get them in various varieties claiming up to double the standard output.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

It's because it's safer... Seriously.

Thicker pillars, higher waist lines, and less glass area all mean more metal which means more strength in the frontal and side impact tests. They don't do tests for glass area or field of vision, so they can easily be compromised to add strength in the areas that are tested...

Reply to
Adrian

Or plastic fly deflectors, eyebrow sunshades, "Paddy Hopkirk" aftermarket tat.

String back driving gloves still seem to sell.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

In message , NY writes

You're not the only one. I remember buying a Mk III Zephyr years ago. I took it for a test drive, and the old boy selling it told me off for clicking the handbrake. I've never done it since, and it really grates when others do.

Reply to
News

Dip switch on the floor, as fitted to my 68 Traveller.

Reply to
News

Or fake bullet holes on the windows :-)

I confess to still having a tiger tail. Esso?

Still got a Dunlop Groundhog squeaky toy, too. That has been in every car I've owned since whenever the tyres were launched.

Reply to
News

But do you have an STP sticker on your car? :-)

Reply to
News

I inherited my dad's Retrovisor, which was quite useful, though difficult to align correctly. I remember it causing much interest driving around France in the 70s.

I also recall him fitting aftermarket wing mirrors, of a design which allowed you to bolt on an extra arm section when towing.

It used to be a caravan selling point that it had view-through, These days providing a shower room the size of Rutland seems to be the priority.

I had a Renault 20 with plain glass door mirrors. The nearside one was of no use whatever - the field of view was tiny.

These days for towing I use Milenco Grand Aero, with convex glass, and find them superb. Besides the essential traffic view, I can see the full height of both sides of the caravan, which is really useful in a tight spot.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

In message , Jethro_uk writes

Slightly scary story. Years ago, I was vaguely aware that others could read road signs etc. at I greater distance than I could, but did not really think much of it until, in the office where I worked, we used a TV to follow Stormin Norman and the Gulf War. Everyone in the office could read Teletext except me, so I jokingly grabbed a pair of glasses belonging to a colleague, and the world was transformed. Needless to say, I visited an optician the same day. He tested by eyes and said 'I hope you do not drive, Sir'. Hmm ...

Reply to
News

Mock driving test for me.

I'd always needed to be towards the front of the classroom to read the board, but never thought more about it. Went through driving lessons, no problem. My instructor took me through a mock test, and - at the end - said "Right, you're ready. Umm, have we done the eyesight test? Read me the plate on that car..."

Oh. Right. Umm.

First year or so of driving, I broke about half a dozen frames. I'd get out the car, take the glasses off, put them on the seat...

Reply to
Adrian

stick on rear window demister

Reply to
charles

Add to that the fact that the damn things are *gigantic*.

Reply to
Huge

You could learn to know the width and length of your car. That will also help when it comes to driving through narrow gaps. You should be able to judge beforehand whether you'll get through or not.

Reply to
Tim Streater

My Beetle had an interesting screenwash system. The water reservoir was connected to, and pressurised by, the spare wheel. You simply pushed the control and water squirted.

Only when it eventually stopped working did it become clear that there was a pressure limiter to make sure that you didn't run the tyre flat.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Yeah, mine too. But didn't some Mini vans have the starter button on the floor too?

Reply to
Tim Streater

In message , charles writes

I remember fitting those.

Clip on wide angle interior mirror. Useful before door mirrors were fitted.

Reply to
News

No, but she has a Talladega sticker on hers!

Reply to
Capitol

yep.

saved a contactor.