VPN / FTP (Arguably OT!)

Oh, c'mon, why deny us our pleasures?

Reply to
Huge

Hopefully, everyone who's ever been told they're wrong (usually in much less polite terms) by you.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I knew that :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

My preference would be to set up a VPN server at your home site and allow the remote PC a login on that. Then once connected it would be able to used whatever network resources you allow for that user name.

If you are not adverse to changing the router, then going for one with VPN termination built in (rather than just VPN pass thru) would save having to expose the windows box to any of the VPN stuff which IME is good idea (tm).

Reply to
John Rumm

It doesn't lock things up totally since all you are sending are acks when you want to downlaod something, but it does delay those acks, leading to lumpy response and a loss of at least 1Mbps typically.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Your memory is rather short, I simply point out that you're a brainless tosser.

This has been a public service announcement.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Deny? No I'm always happy to be corrected, I was just wondering how much storage I would have to allocate for this thread.

Reply to
Steve Firth

For various reasons, some of which you may guess, in my working environment SSH is mandated, SFTP is specifically banned and neither may be used on the nertnet. I notice that Ubuntu seems to come configured with SSH as the default as does OSX, which is largely a good thing.

Tomorrow I will have to start giving thorough answers to such questions. Until then my brain is firmly in jelly mode.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Depends whether we start using the output of the banner command or not :-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Crikey, you lost me about 5 acronyms ago.

[I'm hearing good things about LogMeIn Hamachi² for this sort of purpose - it's got encrypted tunnels an' everyting.... ?
Reply to
Steve Walker

Another reason for using a decent router with VPN termination and also configurable QOS profiles.

Reply to
John Rumm

I'd be interested to understand why SFTP is specifically banned. I thought it used fingerprinting explicitly to avoid MITM attacks. I could well be missing something.

And I'd love to know that the 'nertnet' is, but I suspect you couldn't tell me withou killing me afterwards :-)

Sid

Reply to
Sidney Endon-Lee

It's probably history. At some time someone will have tried a MITM attack, thereafter it would be banned. Subtle thinking doesn't go far in my industry.

Reply to
Steve Firth