volts - watts - amps

can someone explain the equation to me...

if it's 19v & 90w does that means it's 4.7amps output ?

thanks Les

Reply to
in2minds

V/I=R VI=W or V=W/I or I=W/V

etc etc

HTH

Nick

Reply to
froggers

"V/I=R VI=W or V=W/I or I=W/V" [..]

well that makes no sense to me at all (c;

Les

Reply to
in2minds

Power is a product of voltage and current - i.e. Power (in Watts) equals Voltage (Volts) times current (Amps). For reasons that I can't remember, although voltage is conventionally represented in the formula by the symbol V, and power (watts) by W, current in amperes is represented by I rather than 'A' as might be expected. So in the previous reply, VI=W means volts x amps = watts. You can transpose the equation to solve for any third parameter if you know the other two.

So the answer to your original question is "yes" (presuming the "it" to which you refer is a DC power source specified as delivering 90Watts at

19Volts). 90W/19V = 4.7 Amps approximately (!)

I haven't tried it, but I suspect a quick Google for "Ohms Law" would turn up a lot more information if you're interested.

Reply to
Mike Faithfull

In message , in2minds writes

Volts * Amps = Watts

Reply to
geoff

it means you were correct

Reply to
Chris Oates

as title (c;

Les

Reply to
in2minds

Ok, let me try to explain!

To work out Amperage, you do the following: - Watts divided by Voltage

To work out Wattage, you do the following: - Amperage multiplied by Voltage

To work out the voltage, you do the following: - Wattage divided by Amperage

OHM'S LAW BASE FORMULAS P=I*V V=I*R TO FIND VOLTAGE V=P/I V=I*R V=SQR(P*R) TO FIND CURRENT I=P/V I=V/R I=SQR(P/R) TO FIND POWER P=I*V P=V2/R P=I2*R TO FIND RESISTANCE R=V2/P R=V/I R=P/I2

P = Power in Watts V = Volts I = Electrical Current in Amps R = Electrical Resistance in Ohms SQR = Square Root

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

The output or input would be strictly speaking 90 watts. If the voltage it requires is 19, then the current flowing would be 4.7 amps.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Only if it is a resistive load (or DC rather than AC). If there is an uncorrected capacitive or inductive element to the impedence (called reactance), then the current may be greater.

Resistive loads would include incandescent lighting and heating elements. Reactive loading (in addition to the resistive) would be produced by uncorrected fluorescent lighting and motors.

Reactive loading makes the supply less efficient, as it increases the current (and hence transmission losses) for no benefit. Large premises such as factories are required to correct their reactive loads to reduce these losses.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Or should that be 4.7amps input, and 90W output...? :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The guy is having enough truble with his sums without introducing complex numbers and vector arithmetic.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher