Volex or Wylex consumer unit

I see Screwfix are now stocking Wylex consumer units:

£70

Anyone know how the quality might compare to the Volex one:

£60

Thanks for any advice Rob

Reply to
Kalico

I went for the Wylex one as the quality of the other was not rated good on the SF forum. Also my old metal clad fusebox was Wylex and it had the incoming switch on the RHS same as the their new one. Whereas the Volex main switch is on the LHS. So I figured it would be easier to reconnect the existing meter tails to the Wylex, which indeed it was. It was doodle to fit I only had the power off for 1 hour.

The SF price is very good. The nearest B&Q have is a special offer 8 way kit for 80 quid.

Reply to
BillR

Neither. Buy MK or MEM.

Reply to
harrogate

At Clearlight, Worcester branch, they are doing Wylex NHRS 12 way Split load CU, 100A incomer, 80A RCD with nine mcbs of your choice for £68 approx plus vat. I have fitted 2 of these in last few weeks.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

We fit both on our sites and the only problem we've noticed is with the volex copper bar from the main switch to the neutral bar. On odd occasions it was behind the clamp rather than inside it and although our guys went through the board making sure the screws were tight the neutral connection wasn't made properly and , a few weeks down the line, the connection got hot enough to burn the main switch out. Obviously it's something they now pay particular attention to. Richard

Reply to
Frisket

Well, I do like MK kit but the price is hard to justify.

Is it soooo much better than Wylex for residential work?

Reply to
Kalico

Do you have a web address for them?

Reply to
Kalico

No, I looked at both in detail and the price difference isn't justified. The dearest stuff in B&Q is GE and it didn't impress me at all.

Anyway my old Wylex metal clad fusebox has done well in this property for the last 22 years. Very solidly made I noted a I chucked it away..

MK I use for visible elec stuff like switches and socket because it looks nicer..

Reply to
BillR

Screwfix are doing the same thing prebuilt with 10 mcbs for £69.99 inc VAT. That would inc delivery too because its above their minimum order value.

Reply to
BillR

That does seem to be a basic oversight by professional fitters. This is what gives so called pros a bad name. How did they get in the bottom mounting screws without removing the mcb rails? maybe they didn't bother with those.. I reckon a careful DIYer who has the time and incentive to do a quality job will often end up with a better result than a tradesman who is rushing to get to the next job.

Reply to
BillR

In message , Kalico writes

I have just bought the Volex one from SF. Seems good VFM. I thought about using MK (I've used MK for most of the other fittings in the house), but the extra price isn't justified by the slightly better quality.

Only problem is SF don't pack things very well. The CU (in its cardboard box) was just wrapped in a plastic box and consigned to fate with Lynx or Parcelfarce. First one I got had a large crack on the cover, the replacement had a small bit of cover broken off above the RCD.

Reply to
Steven Briggs

I've found so....

I threw out the Wylex stuff that was originally used in the house. I don't like their "standard" range with the fixed bus bars etc. and will only use DIN based units. They do have one of these and to some extent it seems to me that there is then less to choose between manufacturers. All seem to have the same configuration of rail in the middle and neutral and earth bus bars at the top - not a lot of scope for creativity.

Nevertheless, I feel that MK's build quality is somewhat better from what I have seen, so have standardised on that.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

MK have a nasty habit of making subtle design changes that means in 5 years time when you want to add another circuit or make another trival change you can't source the required matching part. You end up having to replace the whole damn thing or bodge it...

My preference is for Wylex, cheaper and no sillyness with design tweaks.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I am not surprised they have the same configuration. Crabtree, Wylex, Volex, and some others are all made by the same company.

-- Adam

adamwadsworth@(REMOVETHIS)blueyonder.co.uk

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Electrium.

They have copied the MK Sentry configuration.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Nice advice and something I have found too. Thanks Dave

Reply to
Kalico

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

Fair point, Clearlight are my local wholesaler, I did'nt say that was what I paid !!!.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

One point, don't be tempted to use non-Wylex mcbs in their CU. They probably won't fit on the live busbar. The Wylex ones seem ok on other DIN rail makes.

Reply to
BillR