Vitodens 200 programmer.

I replaced my trusty of old basic electric Potterton Kingfisher with a Vitodens 200 system boiler some months ago. And it works just fine. However, I miss having the external programmer of old - if I wish to switch things off when going away etc it means going to the boiler itself. Viessmann reckon the way round this is to use an extra external controller

- using the room stat circuit - and leave the internal one set to constant. Which isn't really what I want. Apart from the unnecessary cost. The integral controller has a four pin plug for everything - so I'm assuming DC and a data circuit. Any reason why I shouldn't just extend this and site the programmer where I want it - the cable run would only be a metre or so. Or any other suggestions? Other thing is the existing old programmer is mounted on a tiled surface and if I remove it it will leave holes. And I've no spare tiles. But dislike having an unused device left in place.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I can't see any reason why not apart from a possible warranty issue. Can you get the connectors? If so, making up a lead would seem to be a good way, then if you have to put the thing back you can.

Screened cable would be a good idea in case of RF pickup, considering your location.

Reply to
Andy Hall

why DC ?

The Saunier Duval programmer is 24vdc powered, but almost every other one I've encountered is mains powered

Reply to
geoff

In message , Andy Hall writes

It's probably a relay switching inside

I don't think RF would be a problem, but surely the manual will give an indication of what the timer does

L, N and two switch contacts would sound logical to me

Reply to
geoff

It's basically just a PCB with surface mount components on it - no signs of mains transformers or relays etc anywhere.

I've not investigated fully but I'd guess it controls external relays etc via an external interface.

I have a spare programmer as I bought the external temperature compensation kit which uses a different one. Ie, different electronics etc but 'physically' the same. So I can trace what the four pin plug on the PCB is wired to at leisure

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

=A0 London SW

You need Part No. 7133 385 according to the installation manual. This is a wall mounting adaptor plate for the controller and includes a blanking plate for the front of the boiler.

Maximum cable length is 30M and you need 2 core cable apparently.

Steve

Reply to
stevelup

Ah. Thought I'd read it from cover to cover.

Wonder why the plug is 4 pin?

But thanks very much for that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Mine's 0, 12v and then 2 way data on a single wire......

The controller handles time, signals temperature as an actual reading and allows control of the relative sensitivity of the room temperature vs. the weather compensator.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I wouldn't assume that in a boiler of this type....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Surely there's a schematic which explains it all

Reply to
geoff

I wouldn't like to make any assumptions, especially as I don't know the beast, especially following the brief description, but even quite a lot of small, compact ones use a cap/resistor dropper from a mains supply.

"Data" also would be a very posh name for what is effectively a switch

Reply to
geoff

I must look at it again more thoroughly but I remember it as not giving an actual circuit of everything - just those external parts like pump etc. More of a block schematic.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well, of course it won't, but between what it does tell you (don't ignore the fault finding) and poking around with a meter, you should be able to crack it

Reply to
geoff

Hmm.

It's definitely two wires according to the schematic. Pins 7&6 of connector X3.

See page 13 of this document:-

does your controller look like the one on page 14?

Steve

Reply to
stevelup

controller with the original still in place but set to continuous?

Yes - similar. It's called a Vitotronic 200 - the one with weather compensation mode.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well, P11 shows quite clearly that there are two options one which is a radio clock (which is unlikely on one contained within the boiler itself as opposed to a remote) and one with live and neutral power lines where one of the switch contacts is that live line - what's the problem ?

Reply to
geoff

No, I believe you remove the whole controller from the front of the boiler and relocated it - which is why the mounting kit I gave you the part number for earlier includes a blanking plate to fill the hole on the boiler

The external temperature sensor appears to connect to pin 1+2 on connector X3 and not directly to the the Vitotronic unit so it shouldn't make any difference.

I have every faith that if you just find pins 6+7 on connector X3, extend them to wherever you would like the control panel and reconnect them, it should work.

The official manufacturers part would be nice because it gives you a proper mounting but I can't see it being necessary from a technical point of view.

Steve

Reply to
stevelup

The weather compensation kit comes with a replacement 'programmer' so there must be more to it.

I'm just curious about why they'd combine the DC with the data when there's no need. And why the controller has a four pin connector.

The mounting and blank plate will certainly make things easy so I'll order it up tomorrow.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Spoke to Viessmann this morning - what a breath of fresh air getting straight through to a bloke who obviously knew the things inside out - when asking for technical advice.

The part number you gave is correct for earlier units but it seems can't be done with current ones. What they do supply is a slave unit which looks the same and duplicates all the operational features of the main one which stays in place - all it doesn't do is allow access to maintenance and setup codes/features.

It does indeed work on only two wires and it's a Vitotronic 300 with a part number 7248 907 - this is for the weather compensated one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Good stuff. Is it expensive?

Steve