Visit to Axminster Power Tools Show last weekend

The same Top Gear that mentioned that all the "stars" bought a Prius to do their bit for the environment.....and then bought a proper car to actually use.

Reply to
Matt

Grunff may venture an opinion as well, since we also saw it. Mine was that it appeared to be about as sturdy as an angle grinder - didn't seem flimsy.

The package price included "£200-worth of blades". We didn't enquire as to what that meant, and how many it was. It may have been a marketing ploy that the normal list price would be this, but street price for the blades less - we didn't check.

The other concern is that they are a proprietary blade.

However, the guy demonstrating it said that he wasn't expecting to sell any at the show, more that they wanted to stimulate demand via the rental places.

I'd rent one first and form an opinion before considering buying. Certainly it did do the claimed thing of cutting (e.g. breeze block) without shooting clouds of fine dust everywhere.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I was put off the AX before I even saw one live by an Open University CAD programme that showed the AX being 'designed'. The basic shape was produced to look good with no reference to aerodynamics, the equipment that had to fit on, around, and inside it - nor the people that had to fit in it. I did later sit in one just to confirm that the French really were as stupid as the programme suggested.

Reply to
John Cartmell

Prat Clarkson said that becasue it is not a Ferrari. Note: all the stars have them, inc me.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The rear engined Skodas were very reliable and strong with an all aluminium engine and the rad up front. The British auto press decided to kill it at birth as the car was buttons to buy and service and would wipe out the lower end of the British auto market. So how do you kill something that is good and works well? You character assassinate, and that did in abundance. I drove the Estelle I think, the one with all the trim. It was nippy and very quiet as the engine was in the rear. The steering was very light too. I was quite impressed thinking it would be like a tractor. Far from it. I know one guy who bought one for one downmanship reasons. Some people wouldn't even get in it the stigma created by the press was so strong.

The Peugeots I have had, have all been strong solid well designed cars. I am surprised that they are near the bottom.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The message from "Doctor Drivel" contains these words:

As always Dribble is unable to stick to the truth. BMW came 10th out of

36 manufacturers. Skoda 2nd.

In the survey Chris highlighted BMW were 7th and Skoda again 2nd.

The Toyota Prius doesn't figure anywhere.

Reply to
Roger

The only star you resemble is the one my cat shows when she walks out of the room.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Roger, it is so good it is way off the list.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Your criticisms would have more weight if you distinguished between an exaggeration and a lie. Now how much do people pay for BMWs in order to be 10th on any list - and so far (some would say nowhere!) behind Skodas? ;-)

Reply to
John Cartmell

I thought it felt pretty sturdy, and would expect it to take quite a bit of abuse. The blades were quite thick steel (2-3mm), with welded teeth.

I think if I was chasing out another house, I'd be very keen to hire one for a week.

Reply to
Grunff

The message from John Cartmell contains these words:

:-)

You don't need to buy new you know.

I find it curious that Skoda does so much better than the rest of the VAG range all of which are listed below BMW. They are all VWs under the skin and assembly is only a small part of the process. Badge shouldn't make such a big difference unless (as others have suggested) Skoda drivers really are more easily satisfied.

It is often claimed that a BMW is a drivers car (well it is rear wheel drive) and discerning drivers are undoubtedly going to be more critical than those for who a car is a minor means to an end and the cheaper the better.

Reply to
Roger

Lovely, think of that being wiped all over your furniture and kitchen surfaces.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Assembly can make a big difference. In general all cars work. As long as you don't use cheap components they last a reasonable length of time. Whether the car has intermittent faults, bits drop off, one line chafes another, &c depends upon the care of assembly.

Possibly. This was all as a comparison with power tools. If it does the job safely and smoothly then you need to think why you are paying more. You suggest a BMW is a 'driver's car'. Maybe a Skoda is a 'I want to get from A to B' car?

Reply to
John Cartmell

That's a keyboard, a tea bag and a slurp of milk you owe me!

Reply to
Matt

Lord Hall, please keep your mind on Makitas. This does you no good.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I've had my 528 for 6 years - far longer than I usually keep a car. It was bought from a main dealer at two years old. It's had five repairs. A heater speed resistor. Crank position sensor. Broken exterior door handle. Intensive screen washer pump. Leak from the power steering caused by a faulty crimp. All replaced by myself.

Actually 'broken down' once - failed battery which died with no warning a few days after the warranty ran out.

Dealer charges are exorbitant - about 120 quid an hour. And they are poor, which I'd say must have an effect on the reliability ratings.

Other than that, only service items. Even the exhaust is original despite my drive to work being only a few miles which usually shortens the life of such things.

The car still drives like new despite approaching 100,000 miles. And being an early model off the production line.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Is this an E39? If so, has the heater motor final stage resistor never failed? If so I'm telling the Guiness Book of Records...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Obviously since they don't have problems or break down.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

of the condition of the cars when sold secondhand. BMWs are more expensive to service than Skoda, so may well have been neglected by the time they leave the dealer re-sell network.

It's interesting that the only other 'prestige' brand in their top ten is Lexus. No mention of Jaguar, Audi, M-B, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That is appalling.

Even worse.