Virgin Media 'wiring'

In article , Lobster scribeth thus

There is a an element of truth in that, some build outs were done better than others. In the original scheme of things there were several different companies like Comcast, Bell Cablemedia Jones cable and Nynex etc..

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , michael adams scribeth thus

Yep but he's got more money that thee and me and us lot put together.

You can't blame sharks for what they are or what they do;!.

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , Jabba scribeth thus

Well we've had VM since 1996 and in that time its been down around 6 odd times sometimes Padrig has been too happy with his digger, and a very few times their fault but overall its been fine.

We have the phone line thrown in as its cheaper and it us used sometimes for incoming calls but I don't recall a time when thats been down at all!.

Reply to
tony sayer

Snipped

Zen are a very good ISP and we use them elsewhere. However they use BT cables and plant so if your BB speed is slow then Zen won't make it any better. However their customer service is one of the best around so in that respect can't fault them:).

FWIW we can get Fibre here now but due to distance limitations it will only be the 38 meg service so no improvement for us, the up on VM is still slower but we don't find that a problem.

However..

I know some people out in the sticks who'd Kill to get their service I know of one at the moment 400 odd K on a good day thats if it doesn't drop out and no prospect an anything better for a long time to come yet;!..

Reply to
tony sayer

Quite. We've had Virgin fibre round here for probably longer than most. I don't use it - but neighbours who do seem to have plenty of complaints.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I literally cannot remember the last time we had a problem. I *think* it was during a thunderstorm a few years ago when our leg of the operation got cut off for a few hours.

What has always disappointed me is that you lose broadband if electricity fails - lack of battery backup and/or electric feed along the fibre to cabinets means that you cannot simply plug modem/router into a UPS and keep going. Occasionally we have had a minor interruption due to power failure and it isn't always the same power circuit as the house.

Best support from them has been through their support forum, so long as you can get to it...

Reply to
polygonum

The only person I've spoken to about it (so far) is on VM, so no comment on BT but his VM service has been fine for the 2 years he has had it. Anecdotally, though, there is often a repair van somewhere in the road, so I guess the whole BT intallation is gently falling apart.

Reply to
GMM

I see they're using the word "professional" in its "paid to work" sense.

jgh

Reply to
jgh

On 11 Sep 2014, "michael adams" grunted:

+1 And I've been a customer for about 18 years...!

My next door neighbour (in a suburban street) wanted to move to VM, each time he phoned them (each time his Sky contract came up for renewal) he got told 'you're not in a cabled area', despite him patiently explaining that both his next door neighbours were already customers. ISTR the last time he tried he did actually managed to transfer!

Reply to
Lobster
[snip]

Try Googling slopes + Jeremy Clarkson

:-)

Reply to
Jim White

Been with them since the days of Surfunlimited for ?8 per month.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

We've had VM broadband for over 10 years. Customer service is mediocre, but the connection is good most of the time (very few interruptions). Our house already had cable TV & phone when we moved in, so the broadband installer put some kind of T between the incoming cable & the TV & phone sockets, & ran an additional internet cable from the T up the front wall of the house, tucked it into a gap in the eaves, & screwed a box to one of the joists in the accessible but only slightly finished storage area in the attic. He connected another coax to the output of that & ran it through the plaster wall to the cable modem. I was satisfied with the neatness of the installation but I think the arrangement of our house & where we wanted the CM made it easy.

Reply to
Adam Funk