Vinyl tiles on hardboard over underlay ??

What do people think of fixing hardboard down OVER carpet underlay as a base for vinyl tiles ?
I have a large kitchen/diner with sisal carpet and the rubber underlay has been firmly glued to the wooden floor for 10 years. No way will it lift off the floor without scraping off in bits, although the carpet peels off the underlay reasonably well.
Thanks
Robert
royall (at)clara (dot) co ( dot ) uk

Well, if you must, but I would think a good thickness of ply will be better than hardboard.
HTh Rob
--
Tel. 07010 703 702
snipped-for-privacy@kalico.spam

The hire shops have a machine specifically designed to strip nasties off floors - much better to get it off I think.
http://www.hss.com/Fae.asp?sysPage=WSCLASS&ClassX411&wsDivision=HIRE&sysClearSQL=YES
Andrew Mawson

Thanks for the advice have now decided to go for Kardean tiles so I'll try the garden spade and hoe first and then if necessary the "machine".
Kardean tile seem far cheaper mail order than locally - is this just market forces or is there a catch ?
Robert