vinyl matt not sticking

i'm in the middle of painting a large room (a shop) with dulux trade vinyl matt. the walls are victorian tonge and groove panelling, which have been sanded and primed. this was done a while ago and unfortunately i can't recall what was used to prime the boards. as i'm painting it small patches fail to stick and blister and when it dries these flake off. this has happened over a lot of the are, though some areas seem fine. anyone know whats causing this and what the remedy is?

(ps is vinyl matt the same as matt emulsion?)

thanks

Reply to
mcmook

Sounds like the surface is contaminated with something. Perhaps a wash down with sugar soap or a light sand would help.

Not always - its usually washable, ordinary matt may not be.

Reply to
John Rumm

thanks - what im most worried about is whether the blistering is isolated to those places it already has or whether it will continue in the future. i asked for advice at the dulux centre and i think i may have the (part of the) answer ... we used trade paint my wife and her friends did the painting i told them to thin it down with water but i dont think they believed me! and used it straight out of the tin. it was too thick. i used the same paint and thinned it down on some plasterboard with a mist coat already applied and the application and finish were very good. so its probably a combination of a poor surface and too thick paint. hopefully whats already stuck will stay stuck and i'll spot treat the other affected areas.

Reply to
mcmook