victorian/edwardian houses or new houses?

Page 2 of 14

Of course there was a vast variation in building standards - but *in general* the fact that they're still standing after 100 years means something. As you say, the real jerry built ones didn't last that long.
Speculation building? How many people buy a new house these days before the estate has started to be built? They look at the show house and then perhaps decide to buy - and their house is already under some stage of at least planning or construction - so the builder is speculating too.
Dunno Islington - sounds posh to me. Round this part of Sarf Lunnun they use London Stocks which seem to last pretty well. I reckon there's at least four different grades of them used in mine - the best ones naturally at the front. Doesn't seem to make much difference to the strength, though. And lime mortar allows things to move slightly without cracking. If you can't beat them, join them.
--
*Pentium wise, pen and paper foolish *

A bit like thouse roads off Bedford Hill. Very choice buildings, but all converted to flats. This is why Hackney and Stoke Newington became trendy, even without decent transport. Brixton didn't quite make it though, despite the Victoria Line and the lovely housing stock. Couldn't help noticing on a trip to Balham the other night a) how full the pubs were and b) ladies of the night parading on Bedford Hill. They used to be shoulder to shoulder up there by the common when I was a lad.

I would guess your London stocks are pretty much the same as mine, that is stacked one on top of the other with a crumbly powder between them. I think the merits or otherwise of lime mortar are academic when this stuff has long ceased to be mortar in any meaningful sense of the word.

Certainly a lot are - they're simply too big for many. Or were a few years ago.

I'd hardly call it cheap now. You've really got to go out as far as Mitcham to get cheaper places, and of course, most of that is much newer.

Did you visit the Bedford? It used to be the tarts pub - now it's all luvvies. You still see a few tarts up by the common during the day - all knock kneed in there mini skirts in this weather. Thought the police had cleared them away at night.

My builder mate says it's just the pointing that holds them together. But if you do any repairs, don't use a strong mix of mortar - the bricks will simply crack with any movement.
--
*Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be happy.

No, drove past it though, and it was packed to the rafters. At 500+ quid a month rent, I'm surprised these youngsters can afford it. I think they should all stay in every night and build up their pensions. Huh! Fat chance in my offspring's case.

I think it's only being on top of one another that holds them together. I raked out and re-pointed the whole front of our house at 4:1 with lashings of pva. Nothing's cracked in 12 years, and the dampness hasn't returned. Looks a bit tasty too. Pity it's not in SW12 :-)
On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 00:17:04 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman

snip
The road I live in is mostly composed of victorian semis, it should be renamed skip road for all the skips which appear outside these houses. I have seen entire front walls/roofs being replaced, perhaps that is why they are still standing after 100 years.
Paul

dividing
True. Very little is left of some of them. Look at that Property Ladder prog. All was replaced: walls, floors and roof and intermediate floors. It was a new house.

So now we know where your 'experience' comes from.
--
*Why is it that most nudists are people you don't want to see naked?*

Curiosity wrote:

Of course it is.
Underpin, prop, RSJ, dig, extend, blend in new..replaster, rewire, replumb, and hey.
You have a modern house in a victoirian shell.
Local conservationists are happy, BCO is happy, and with luck its still worth living in.
Frankly I hate victorian houses - most of the small ones anyway.

The change was in 1875 when the Public Health Act brought in building byelaws, though enforcement of same was very variable for many years (and some would say still is <g>). My limited geographical experience as a BCO in SW London suggested that the later Victorian buildings were, in general, significantly better built that the earlier ones.
Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
Imm wrote:

Well regulation and standards did come in during the 1800s, so the later houses would be better. The Victorians invented "standards", so everyone is nearly working the same. Some Victorian houses had different width floorboards across the same room, as each supplier had different sizes.

IMM wrote:

Sctually its more about taking the most out of whatever tree you had, and it still happends today.
I have doors made of randomn oakl boarding. Less waste of timber - no need to cut a 4.5" board down to 4" just to satisfy brussles etc.
Anoher example of stupid legislation wasting resources.

But of course you'd prefer nice tidy sheets of chipboard.
Every time you put 'pen to paper' you prove you have zero practical knowledge of anything.
--
*We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart?

They certainly outlast a lot of clay tiles: most of 1930's New Malden was built by Wates who used these new-fangled Marley concrete tiles. 65 years on they may have lost some of their colour but they are still sound. Down the road in Berrylands most houses have had to be reroofed because the tiles have delaminated.
Free SEDBUK boiler database browser

It gets better and better....
--
*If at first you don't succeed, try management *

Dave Plowman wrote:

It's all down to those new fangled polymerised timber trees they grow now.... that where you get plastic wood from you know ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm wrote:

Don't be silly John. Everyone knows its because all the timbers now go to university and get a certificate of Political Correctness.

Has to be a non-snotty one though.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

So they are full of saps, then?
--
*Welcome to Shit Creek - sorry, we're out of paddles*

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 10:10:58 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman

Let's not branch out on that one....
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

How else are we going to get the root of the problem?
Mark