Victorian airer in stairwell

If repairs will be difficult due to height & location, consider using good quality pulleys and rope/cord. IME the metal pulleys usually supplied damages the rope quite quickly .

Reply to
Robert

Another + from me for "quality" rope, nice to go to chandler to "feel" it, but also available on eBay.

Reply to
newshound

I have to admit that my wife does most of the washing. She has various theories about how this should be done, which may not be all that evidence-based. One of these is that shirts should be hung up whilst fairly wet, so they do not need ironing. She also does not spin things like bath mats, as they tend to disintegrate.

Incidentally, when we put our drying rack up, I got the pulleys and rope from a yacht Chandlers. It has all been working well for 20 years now, without any maintenance. Virtually any thickness of nylon cord will take the load involved, but you might want slightly bigger rope to avoid it digging into your hands. We have roughly 1 cm rope, which is probably strong enough to hang the house from.

Reply to
GB

Also strikes me as an odd place to have a fire extinguisher, why isn't on the landing, nearer the flat door(s)? Also a little bit of an obstruction on an escape route. But one assumes a Fire Officer has seen and approved it.

And being in a communal area everyone will expect to be able to use it and what happens when (not if) some ones washing goes AWOL.

If the OP still wants it then a single beam running parallel to that small bit of ceiling would be less obtrusive but would still look a mess IMHO.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The purpose of which is to provide light to a stairwell without, presumably, any other source of natural light.

And which your proposal would entirely defeat by obscuring that light with an airer loaded with clothes.

michael adams

michael adams

without, presumably, any other source of natural light.

And which your proposal would entirely defeat by obscuring that light with an airer loaded with clothes.

Reply to
Murmansk