vibration sensors on upvc windows?

First of all is there any point in fixing the vibration sensors from the old wooden windows back onto the new upvc ones? I guess someone could still break them, albeit with a bit more effort than the old ones?

Secondly, what is the the best way of fixing them? Can you screw into the upvc or is some sort of sticky stuff a better idea (but maybe not sticky pads as you wouldnt want to absorb too much vibration). What about sticking the wires to the frames too?

cheers

Dave.

They would probably require the sensitivity adjusting accordingly.

You can screw into pvc. I would drill a tiny pilot hole first, smaller than the screw diameter obviously. You could probably glue the sensors on (depending what plastic they're made of) using PVC solvent weld, but this would make changing them difficult, and if you get the solvent weld on any part of the PVC where you didn't want it, it will damage the PVC surface.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

Isn't the upvc hollow? Is it thick enough to gain an adequate hold?

Reply to
NoSpamThanks

Dave,

I've had vibration sensors for my alarm system fitted to UPVC windows now for about six years. These are either screwed to the frame or stuck on with a "sticky pad". Over the years, the pads seem to break down and I usually end up refixing the sensor with a couple of small self tapping screws - I drill the UPVC frame first.

With regards to the wires - these were originally fixed to the wall (not the frame) with small staples - but when I have re-wall papered each room, I have removed these and tucked the cables away under the wall paper or even the plastic trims around the windows to make a neater job.

After fixing, just re-adjust the sensitivity of the sensor setting to take account of the difference in material.

Hope this helps

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

Yes, it is hollow, but typically 1.5-2mm thick. So you wouldn't want to use screws to mount shelves onto your uPVC frame, but a 20g sensor would be fine.

Reply to
Grunff

yeah thanks Brian, tiny self tappers in a pilot hole sounds the best bet.