Very worrying burning smell from vacuum cleaner (Miele)

So I bought a great vacuum cleaner from selfridges .. has been working fine

..until today

Starting smelling a very worrying burning smell (like plastic on fire)

.. last night... I sucked a fly up into it... it's a 2200W hoover... I usually use RAID spray to zap any flies that piss me off... but it was entertaining to suck it up...

Erm... should I take it back to the shop?

Maybe I sucked up a big metal object or something? i dunno

Reply to
ChrisHollandisback

Back in the summer, I was using the hose on my Dyson DC01 to suck the flies from around my horse's face and eyes. Stupid flies didn't learn and I ended up with many hundreds buzzing around the clear plastic bin. Horse loved it. :o)

Sorry, doesn't answer your question...

Reply to
xena

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

I had a Miele; it went on for years.

Then it blew up.

Yes, blew up.

I thought you'd like to know

mike

Reply to
mike

Do take it back.

Oh,and what does a 2200W Hoover fly look like?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Overheating motor. Bag full/filters clogged. Remove all and run..if it revs a LOT higher than when put back together you have a problem.

No. More like lots of fine dust.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

This wil probably be the belt melting, meaning that the belt is turning but the steel part which should spin (via the belt) is jammed, probably with something, rarely nothing, but it's best to have a look.

I doubt a fly could have blocked it, unless it was sat in a box of LEGO at the time.

That depends on how long you've had it, if it's less than a year, yes, if it's more than a year, don't bother as they'll charge you for any work which needs doing which you could do yourself in ten minutes.

Neither do we....did you hear a sort of metallic, clangy-bangy screeching noise fill the room, like the sound you get when you try to drill through a steel girder with a masonry bit? - if you didn't then it's unlikely you went over a big metal object.

Reply to
Phil L

I don't think the fly was to blame.

Possibly. I gave up using my last vacuum cleaner because the switch-on sparks started getting continuous and the whole casing was lighting up like something out of Frankenstein's laboratory.

I'd suggest taking it outside where there's nothing flammable round and running it for a while and seeing what happens.

If it turns into a melty lump, take it back. It'll be fun to see them try to claim catching fire isn't covered by the guarantee.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The message from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

Guy King

"Oh,and what does a 2200W Hoover fly look like?"

ROFL !!!

Reply to
Staffbull

Might be as simple as a stuck brush bar if it's an upright. in which case it's melting belt. Can we have some more details, OP?

Douglas de Lacey

Reply to
Douglas de Lacey

A bit off at a tangent, but a few years ago one of the vac's went bang and tripped the RCD when I was at work and the wife was using it. Because she really doesn't like electrical bangs she unplugged it and put it out on the patio whereas I would have put it in the workshop. Just as well really because a couple of hours later she looked out of the window to see it blazing merrily, and she called out the local firemen. The added amusement was it had started snowing by then and having kicked it well out of the way of the house they had to fill in their form, and where they had to fill in "Method used to extinguish fire" they wrote "snowballs".

The serious point is that most electrical stuff is self extinguishing for your standard "frayed cord inside" type of fault, but vacuum cleaners with their bag of fine combustible dust need to be treated with a bit more care. If I had put it in the workshop I don't suppose we would have known about it until it had reached the thinners, paint, propane cylinders.......

Reply to
Newshound

Actually untrue. Mine had a 3yr warranty - Miele do these periodically for cleaners.

However, f the cleaner has been used to clear up plaster and other similar things then it is (reasonably) not covered.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Thanks Mike

Reply to
ChrisHollandisback

I've had it for a few weeks! It cost =A3150 or something.

Reply to
ChrisHollandisback