very unreliable LV lighting

Hi,
I have four rooms lit by 12v low voltage lighting. In three of these rooms I have constant problems with lights failing. In almost every case its a unreliable connection between the buld and bulb fitting.
Is this a feature of LV lighting and are there any tips to address the problem?
--
Fergus McMenemie Email: snipped-for-privacy@twig.demon.co.uk.
Techmore Ltd Phone:(UK) 07721 376021
Fergus McMenemie wrote:

No. But the currents are higher than HV lighting, and there are a few dodgy makes out there.

Replace the fittings. They are very cheap. I used newey and eyer ones that were about 1.50 each from memory - these are flush mounted 50W units. THEY have been faultless. The problems I have had are on track lights wehert the transformers that plug into teh track ends used soft spring metal to contact teh tracks. Both uunits needed dismantling and arcing and pitting cleaning off and the springy contacts 'adjusting' to make better contact.
To be fair, those contacts are doing over 10A...but to be fair, they shold be designed for it. They were NOT newey and eyre units..Buy style, buy trouble..

Whereas I have used Newey and Eyre ones in the kitchen and they have NOT been faultless! The contacts became burnt out and pitted within 18 months. I have ended up buying new fittings (Screwfix, this time) and pinching the lamp fitting/base bit to fit into the Newey and Eyre units. Had to do 3 so far.
I spoke to N&E about it and they shrugged and said "you get that".
So, as they say, YMMV ;-) Tim Hardisty. Remove HAT before replying
On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 07:58:34 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@twig.demon.co.uk (Fergus McMenemie) wrote:

Yes. The connectors run hot, so it's a harsh environment for maintaining a good contact,
- Use screw connectors, not springs.
- Keep the temperature down, by installing with good ventilation.
- Use reliable connectors. Sadly I don't have a list, but your own experience with brands you've already experienced can be worth remembering.
-- Do whales have krillfiles ?