Very small screws.

What size screws are used in specticles and where can I get them, other than an opticians that is. I am forever losing the perishing things out of my glasses.I suppose soem sort of model supplies must have very small screws or instrument suppliers.

Kevin

Reply to
Zen83237

In message , Zen83237 writes

My local pound shop (poundland) has spectacle repair kits, including screws for, you guessed it, a pound

Reply to
Keith

I use to have that problem but found a drop of Loctite thread lock stopped it happening.

Slatts

Reply to
Sla#s

In message , Zen83237 writes

Just go to an optician and ask them for a screw, and could they counterpunch the bottom for you

Reply to
geoff

George

There's a chap on ebay that sells such screws - Petes-Model-Workshop.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

The message from Keith contains these words:

That's where I got the screws for my husband's spectacles. He was forever losing the screw, always from the same side - I deduced that it's the way he takes his glasses off, putting stress on the same side all the time.

The screw is more likely to stay in place if you drop a blob of clear nail varnish on it, once it's in place...

Reply to
Anne Jackson

So much good advice so soon. I will follow all these up. I hadn't thought about it but I have the same problem, always the same side and beinf right handed I take them off from the RHS. I will try the nail varnish trick.

Kevin

Reply to
Zen83237

================================== I've given up on the screws. I now use a short length of stiff wire. Bend at 90 degrees, insert into hinge and bend the other end to 90 degrees with a pair of pliers. Totally secure and almost invisible.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Having been trained as a surgical instrument maker, I use a very small hammer and dome the exposed end of the thread. It will never come out and you can still use the screw head to adjust the friction.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

In message , Zen83237 writes

Lightly centre punching is a much better solution

Reply to
geoff

You might want to re-phrase that !

Reply to
Fergus O'Rourke

In message , Fergus O'Rourke writes

Dunno about you, but mine is quite fit (except that she's moved away now)

Reply to
geoff

..or use screwlock to stop it from undoing itself ???

Nick

Reply to
Nick