Very small light bulb for old gas street lamp

This article has persuaded me that i don't need a large globe, i need three very small ones to emulate the original look and feel of when they were in use originally -

So, now looking for three small but very bright bulbs that give out the same quality of warm light as gas does... then i can group them together like in those lamps in that article, i.e. in the top part of the lamp.

Thanks again peeps,

Steve

Reply to
Mr Sandman

You should read this

They reckon old gas lamps had a colour temperature of less than 2900K best matched by warm-white LED's, and in particular LUXEON Rebel LEDs from Philips Lumileds, in a 48 LED module delivering 2000 lumens, which best matched the light intensity. I'll let you find what they recommend, probably somewhere in this list of 343 hits when searching for Rebel on the FUTURE site

Chris Hogg

You should read this

They reckon old gas lamps had a colour temperature of less than 2900K best matched by warm-white LED's, and in particular LUXEON Rebel LEDs from Philips Lumileds, in a 48 LED module delivering 2000 lumens, which best matched the light intensity. I'll let you find what they recommend, probably somewhere in this list of 343 hits when searching for Rebel on the FUTURE site

Mr Sandman

That's very odd. I'd always thought gas lamps using a mantel had a colour temperature towards the cool end of the spectrum.

We had a street one outside our house when I were a kid. And it looked rather whiter than the electric lights indoors.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We had a gas lamp in our caravan back in the day. We eventually replaced it with a battery operated daylight light. However the gas lamp did apparently change its colour with brightness, yes, it was dimmable! It seemed to go a kind of yellow green colour when dimmed. The main reason we changed was not safety as such but the condensation it caused. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

It's years since I used gaslight, but I don't remember it being warm, other than literally. More a slight green cast to it. Given other people's comments I daresay the compounds on the mantles varied, and thus the light produced did too.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I have a gas mantle lamp in the garage. Comparing it with the fluorescents nearby, it's probably about 3400k.

I would use 3 x LED golfballs to mimick mantles if I was refitting. Poundland often get 3W ones in (although they run out very queckly, so you might have to recheck periodically). I've not had any of these fail yet.

I notice some of the gaslamps in Old Palace Yard (along the outside of Palace of Westminster) have been refitted with inverted LED candle bulbs, although golf balls would have been more authentic.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel