very silly question about meths

Page 1 of 4
What do they use meths for? (I've just found some in the cupboard.)

It burns very well....
Eg. http://www.trangia.se /
Gordon

It depends who "they" is.
Traditionally it was claimed that tramps drank it, but I've never believed that.
For household use:
- Cleaner for glass etc.
- Spirit burners in fondue sets
- Burners in model steam engines
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Meths drinking indeed was quite common,amongst alcholics in scotland in the 50,s and 60,s can not vouch for anywhere else

I remember watching two wino's in the Grassmarket, Edinburgh, being over the moon when they scraped together enough money to buy a pint of milk to mix with their small bottle of meths. Funnily enough both had perfect white teeth and a full head of thick hair and I don't know if it was all down to being pickled from the inside out, or if it was just because they were young and looked a lot older. (?) Anyway.
Meths can be used as a very good cleaning solution on many things and is great for getting particularly greasy marks off. I've also seen it used as a thinner for thick metal paints and coatings, and also as a primer for old paraffin fuelled blow lamps when a cloth was dipped in it and wrapped around the burner tube to preheat it. Burned for quite a while if memory serves right.
On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 00:04:50 GMT, Dave Cook

I bet he won't get away with that for very long.
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

T'is true though. In Glasgow, when I lived there, you used to have to sign the poisons register to buy meths. Another tramp favourite was coal gas bubbled through stolen milk. You used to look for lead gas pipes that had been cut, then folded back on themselves, when checking derelict houses to see whether they were being used by dossers.
Colin Bignell

What's that all about then?! Do explain - never heard of this one!
David

Never tried it myself, but it is supposed to produce an inebriating drink, possibly one that was more palatable than meths. I came across it when helping out with a mass survey of the homeless in Glasgow. Hundreds of people were enrolled to visit derelict buildings across the city and the damaged gas pipe was one of the signs of habitation that we were told to look out for and record. Nobody actually expected us to find any homeless (we didn't) so their numbers had to be extrapolated from signs like that or the more obvious tatty mattress in an empty house. The Social Worker who briefed us said they were looking forward to the introduction of natural gas, which would end the practice, so I assume something in the coal gas was critical to the process.
Colin Bignell

Matt
Matt wrote:

That seems likly to be the most active ingredient in Coal Gas (I can't see the Hydrogen or Nitrogen or stenching agents being that reactive).
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Actually, I was just thinking about this (and recalling my A-level chemistry N years ago...) wasn't coal gas methane (CH4)? And maybe methane is partially soluble in water (H20) to produce methanol (CH5OH), ie meths? Or did coal gas contain methanol vapour which condensed in the milk?
I'm sure someone will have the definitive answer!

More importantly, how did a presumably uneducated, penniless, homeless, alcoholic Glaswegian make this discovery. How many unpleasant gases did he have to bubble through how many different stolen drinks before he finally got to that Eureka moment?
Rgds
Andy R

geoff

Med students

No, coal gas is a mixture of carbon monoxide and hydrogen. I'm bemused by what, if any, intoxicant could be made by bubbling CO + H2 into milk. It may be that the effect was simply that of a mild dose of CO poisoning which may mimic the feeling of being drunk.
--
Mathematicians, please don't drink and derive.

snipped-for-privacy@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth) wrote:

Peter
--
Peter Ashby
David wrote:

reaction takes place but the milk allegedly becomes intoxicating.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

I'm glad someone else had heard of it. I was beginning to wonder if the old memory was failing.
Colin Bignell
On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 00:29:11 GMT, "nightjar" <nightjar@ wrote

(Another known favourite was aftershave -- we used to see empty bottles of Aqua Velva in the park next to where I took my grad degree in Toronto. Is that ethanol-based as well, or something else entirely?)
The only time I've specifically needed meths for a diy project was for melting down old 78 records in it to produce black shellac for restoring some ebonised furniture.
--
Cheers, Harvey