Very noisy washing machine (spin cycle)

Our wasking machine (made by Servis, 1200 spin speed) has become unbearably noisy over the 10 years that we've had it. Apart from that, it's in top working order, and I see no reason to replace it.

It's only REALLY noisy when spinning, so I suspect the bearings are getting worn. Can the bearings be replaced on washing machines, or do I need to fork out for a new machine?

Thanks,

Simon.

Reply to
Simon Langford

Hi,

Worth a try, a new machine could be bought if it proves impossible.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Yes it is likely to be the bearings, and most bearings are common sizes, so they can be replaced. But between the bearing and the drum will be a water seal, and if the bearings are worn, that is likely to be damaged too. So assume that you if you dismantle you will need to replace that too (if you don't, and it is worn, it will let hot soapy water wash the lubricant from your nice new bearings, and they won't last very long).

It is just possible that the bearings aren't yet badly damaged but are running short of lubrication. You can try laying the machine on its face and dribbling oil on the bearing, giving it time to drip through and on to the inner bearing as well. If it works, then you are really lucky - but it is cheap and easy, so worth a try.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

On my hotpoint it was a number of screws that had come undone inside & allowing various bits to clonk against various other bits. Simply picking them up from under the machine & replacing made for a nice quiet machine again.

Reply to
adder