verandahs (sp?)

has anyone made a veranda/h - i.e. transparent roofed, open sided, lean-to structure on the side/front of a house at ground level?

a la :-

am instructed by SWMBO to get planning for spring construction so sketchup at the ready....

...thinking chunkyish oak or slenderer aluminium components (if i can source?) and single glazed roof - toughened glass or polycarbonate?

Would it need PP &/or BRegs? seems a bit marginal for either?

anyone have any thoughts/comments/ experiences?

TIA Cheers JimK

Reply to
JimK

ally square tubing, 16mm triple wall poly roof. Took the best part of 2 days to construct. Cost around £500 in parts, £250 for the frame, 250 for the roof. The only thing I would do different next time is to get the angle brackets, that attach to the wall, powder coated first. Otherwise I was happy with it. Pic here, not quite finished:

A.Lee

nice one! did you buy the glazing bars etc in ? if so from whom?

cheers JimK

Reply to
JimK

Ally tubing, from, of all places, an aluminium stockist! ~£60 for a 5 metre length. 5 lengths needed iirc, maybe 4. 2 sizes used, 2x2 for the

3 uprights, 3x1.5 for the roof. Poly roof from a plastics supplier. Order everything in one go from them, including end closure, and 'F' section for the wall length, as well as roof buttons to hold it down(they are 75p each iirc). You just tell them you need a 4mx2m roof, with all fittings. Mini gutter also a special order, normal gutter is far too big. Alan.
Reply to
A.Lee

Worth getting a catalogue from

do all sorts of roofing stuff, are cheap & the catalogue has loads of installation advice.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

mark

Reply to
mark

Odd. Norton 360 says nowt. Pukka company, used them for years & years.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Just got the same from Avast!

Reply to
PeterC

There's really no comparison between the elegant structure (whose link you posted) and this cheap and nasty car port. Perhaps all you need is a cheap basic structure, but it would make for a particularly nasty-looking veranda.

On the other hand, the purpose-made one looks superb and would enhance the appearance and value of your home. It would be interesting to know how much it cost, but it wouldn't be cheap. I think it might well be worth every penny, though.

Reply to
Bruce

perhaps but at the costs mentioned and the fact that the poster did it himself ( a la UK DIY) - I applaud.

I have no doubt that it will be ludicrously overpriced hence my appeal for any info on the general topic -

I have found a heritage-style glazing bar system and now need to decide how to support it - oak posts maybe or some sort of cast metal columns....but from where??

JimK

Reply to
JimK

You may be pleasantly surprised. I was surprised how little extra a good quality conservatory costs compared to a cheap one. The good quality one made the property (not mine) much more desirable.

Reply to
Bruce

I suspect not - conservatories are now a massmarket product hence one would expect competition to have eroded profit margins and fragmented the market -but how many in the market for a verandah of the type I pictured? ergo how many suppliers can survive off that demand ergo how much profit do they have to make on each one?

e.g. compare googling verandah and conservatory (UK only results say) what do you see?

Cheers JimK

Reply to
JimK

Not many, which is another point in its favour. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

eh?

Reply to