Veranda Planning Permission?

If I install a ground floor veranda on the garden side of the house, with the roof of the veranda being the same as the main house roof tiles, uprights supporting the veranda roof, a rail and fully open all around, as you see in houses in hot countries, will I need planning permission?
Could I build it to a level that all I need do in the future is istall glass doors and windows all around, insulate under the tiles in the small area under the veranda roof, and then have an extension room?
Anyone know?
thanks
timegoesby wrote:

"permitted development" allowance. Why not ask your local authority? You will need to conform to building regs anyway.
On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 15:07:36 +0100, "BillR"

structure that can bypass official involvement.
The ODPM web site has details, as will the local authority.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

They are just starting a veranda on a house a few hundred yards away. It did require a full planning application. Since it is in our view we also got a letter from the council, with a brief description of the application, asking us to lodge any objections we might have (we didn't).
--
Tony Williams.

A veranda is just a small roof hung off the side of the outside wall with a few upright supports; it may even have just a decking floor. Or look at it as decking with a roof hung off the side of the house. Amazing, in that a conservatory which can be 30% of the house floor area and fully enclosed, have no planning or building control, when a veranda is open on all side and is rather much like an awning. Maybe an awning is the better approach if it is not to be fully made into an extension room.

Such a structure would almost certainly require planning permission and be subject to building control aswell.
when a veranda is open on all side and

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 13:33:38 +0100, "Peter Crosland"

I don't think so.
From the Building Regulations perspective, a conservatory, porch, covered yard, covered way or a carport open on at least two sides and no larger than 30m^2 is exempt as long as it's at ground level only and any gladd conforms to Part N of the Building Regs. There is also a requirement regarding separation from the rest of the house and control of heating arrangements.
Regarding planning permission, a conservatory is exempt if it plus any existing extensions have a volume of less than 10% of the original house volume or 50 cu.m for a terraced house, 15% or 70 cu.m for a semi detached or detached. whichever is greater, as long as it will not be nearer to the road boundary than the existing property.
It isn't hard to meet these requirements even with quite a large conservatory and not be required to seek "permission" or "control".
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Possibly, but carports, covered ways and covered areas are all grouped together for exemption anyway.
Take a look on "bruiser's" web site.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

I was! Agreed that if you have a conservatory that meets the requirements above then you may be exempt from building control approval but that was not what bthe OP had in mind. He was trying, I think, to build an extension by stealth and in stages. Others have tried and failed on this kind of scheme. Also a conservatory may exempt if it is erected by a FENSTRA (Spelling??) registered contractor.

Depends on the size.
On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 20:29:43 +0100, "Peter Crosland"

FENSA. AIUI, FENSA is all about the replacement window business and specifically the insulation requirements of Part L1.
Have a look at
http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2000/20002531.htm#sch2
where it indicates that conservatories are exempt provided that they are under 30m^2 and that glazing satisfies the requirement of Part N.
Looking at the Approved Doc. to Part N, it appears that only Part N1 applies to dwellings and is about protection against impact etc. I can't find any reference in this section to any requirement to have the installation done by a FENSA member to secure exemption. It would appear to have more to do with the manufacturing standards used.
It would also be a nonsense to say that a conservatory is exempt as long as part N is complied with, if to do so automatically means a Building Notice is required.
I can't find any references to conservatories on FENSA's web site, although obviously some conservatory companies will be since they do replacement windows as well.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

thx to all.

Be careful. By creating an extension like this, you will still have to prove that the foundations, floor insulation etc. are all up to scratch. Even if they comply at initial construction, they will have to comply with whatever new regulations they dream up when the walls are built. They might also want the whole lot dug up to prove it. Better to build it as an extension from scratch.
The building regulations are mostly common sense and mean it won't all fall down, or burn too much of your precious gas. There is no harm in complying with them, rather than attempting to circumvent.
Christian.