Vents for underfloor space

Have been told that we should replace some of our old style vents and put new style vents in (and add an extra one) to get more airflow under the floor.

What difference is there in old and new styles? Do they allow more air flow or did he not fancy just adding a new one on it's own?

Reply to
Mogga

I have to do this too.

I don't know the answer. The plastic ones seem to have less resistance to airflow on the face of it but the old clay types have kept underfloors dry in many properties for years.

I guess that there is no real need for a large blowing under the building, rather a movement of air that would keep underfloor from suffering from damp humid stagnant conditions that would help rot develop especially in awkward corners that were not vented.

I am going to fit traditional clay vents (to fit in with the house) in two places to improve ventilation where that problem has come to light. I do, however have the advantage that I have ripped up all the floorboards so can see what has been happening over the years :-(

Like you, I would be interested in comments regarding the pro's and con's of the available airbricks.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I'd had an idea after we got a hat with a mini solar panel and a fan that a solar version could assist in air movement. So I had a search:

place in Oz does solar vents and this place does wind powered
seem to have many colours on this site unlike the UK diy sites which have two that I've seen.

We've got a crawl space that's big enough to get down into so we can get down into and have a look about and we know we need some more at the front so if airflow is the same there's only a need to put one new one in.

Reply to
Mogga

They've got a larger free air space, so you might not need as many. They are also available with insect screens and clip off fronts for cleaning (also found that useful for getting 3m lengths of pipe under the floor when installing central heating).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Where from? #Thanks

Reply to
Mogga

Any good builders merchant. Possibly DIY sheds, but I don't recall seeing them there.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel