Venting a combi gas boiler

Yes. You can run a concentric flue, or two side by side 5cm drainpipe flue/air supply ducts up the chimney to a terminal/terminals above the roof line. In fact, I would strongly recommend this, as it converts the annoying steam plume into a nice feature coming from the chimney.

Other issues are to provide the boiler with a gas supply and a condensate drain. However, you could install an old boiler that doesn't require a condensate drain, but you will have to be quick as they will soon be banned.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I am doing some prelimerary plans for a flat, Idealy I would like to situate the gas combie boiler in a centeral part of the flat. (not adjacent to an outside wall). 1. Is it allowed to have a chimney type situation to expel the fumes....2. how would I provide ventilation (intake) to the boiler.

Reply to
Stuart

Does the intake air always need to be drawn from the outside? and can the roof top be the source of that air even if this is 60' above the boiler.

Presumably the condensation drain can be plumbed into the general waste water soil pipe?

Another question.....typically what size cuboard will be required to house a combi boiler suitable to heat a one bedroom flar?

Reply to
Stuart

For a room sealed appliance, yes, and this type of boiler is. Take a look on the Keston Boilers web site and download their manual for the Celsius boiler. This shows flue arrangements where the inlet can be some way from the outlet but must be outside. Having disparate positions does depend on manufacturer's recommendation.

Yes it can. It does need a trap and air break though. A washing machine trap is one way to do it. A condensing boiler has a trap inside and it is very important that this is not connected directly to a drain such that it can be sucked by flushing of a toilet for example. If this were to happen, fumes can escape.

It depends on the boiler size. The issue will be the hot water production rate that you want. The heating aspect will be such that the boilr will be oversized. However, this does not matter because it will modulate down.

Manufacturer installation instructions will give a recommended minimum clearance and any ventialtion requirements for the space where the boiler is installed.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yes. Older "open" flue models take air from inside the house, but are dirty, dangerous, inefficient and environmental disasters. You will also find it very difficult to source an open flue combi and would require huge air ducts into the house, causing draughts. If the ducts get blocked or some ignorant resident closes them, the boiler produces carbon monoxide and terminates the occupants.

Yes, although 60' (18m) is a long way (6 storeys) and you'll have to choose the boiler carefully to find one with a suitable flue system. Also, with that much height, you're really talking about a proper multistorey block of flats, where you may find that gas is prohibited.

The Keston Celcius 25 allows up to 20m, and would have been a good choice, had it been a combi (you could always mate it with a DPS Boiler Master, or whatever they are called).

With some designs, you can take different routes for air and exhaust, although with the convenient chimney, this might not be useful in this case.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Interesting, the Keston instructions didn't mention this when I installed mine. Mine is connected directly to a sink waste, but I did change the bottle trap in the sink for one with an air admittance valve as I foresaw the potential problem.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I don't know whether it applies to the Keston, but presumably will depend on the design.

On mine, the fan intake is within the case which puts the inside of it under negative pressure wrt the atmosphere. The combusion area will be under positive pressure and so fumes could escape.

The Celsius, from the picture seems to have the same arrangement.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Have a look at the Ideal Isar models - they were one of the smallest I found when looking for one to fit a small gap.

Reply to
John Rumm

If it is high rise and has gas, it most certainly will have either a C duct or a U duct running through the flats. You will have to see the makers of the boiler to see if their boiler can be fitted to one of these. What it would mean is that the flue would be pushed into the duct and sealed from the inside. C and U ducts were initially for a natural convection balanced fluid appliances. Some then had forced flue appliances run into them and they worked well with pilotless ignition forced flue appliances that did not push the exhaust directly out from the flue, rather to the sides with a baffle on the front, as many are as standard.

Reply to
IMM