Ventilation for audio-visual gear

I have some audio-visual gear (principally a video projector) mounted on a high shelf, just below ceiling level, in which position it's in danger of overheating unless I can increase the ventilation. Directly above the ceiling is an unused part of the loft: if I install a vent grill (or even more than one) in the ceiling, will that provide enough of an escape route for the heat? In this section of the loft the floor is insulated but not the underside of the roof, and the loft gets very hot in warm weather - will this prevent the hot air from the electronics rising away from the shelf? Obviously, I would remove the insulation from above the grill or grills.

I suppose the ideal arrangement would be a fan-assisted duct route leading through the roof to the outside, but I'd prefer something simpler if possible. I assume that anything would be better than the present arrangement, which is a real hot-air trap.

It's one of those niggly things which I should have thought of at the design stage, but didn't.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Bert

Bert Coules

This will cause condensation in winter - unless the vents in the attic are absolutely ideal. What's wrong with a fan behind it, simply blowing the warm air into the room? Obviously, if the air above the hole is hotter than the air from the projector, it won't rise.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Ian,

Thanks for the reply.

Nothing, except that I'd rather not have the extra noise. Actually, I'm wondering now if it's the air *intake* to the projector which is the major problem. It's situated at the rear of the unit, which places it very close to the wall: I suspect it's taking in air that's far warmer than is ideal. Perhaps I should be thinking in terms of directing cold air towards the projector rather than hot air away from it - though I suppose ideally, I should do both.

Bert

Bert Coules