Ventilation

Hi

I need to add fixed ventilation and dont know what options there are for ways to do it. The room has a sash window with thorough draught proofing.

Thanks, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

By fixed, you mean which can't be closed - like for a gas fire? If so, sounds like an air brick is what you need.

Reply to
Set Square

Do you mean to comply with building regs?

Ther are tow or three ways currently used.

One is to mill a slot in the window frames and use nasty hit and miss plastic vents. This is much favored in the trade when replacing windows, because its quick and easy.

Another is to punch a hole through teh wall and put in short ducts and 'hit and miss' vents to allow you to switch em off.

Its also allowable to have a mecahnism that simply locks the windows open a crack at teh top, but my inspector would not allow it on the ground floor (insecure).

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

cant be closed, yes. But an airbrick, I assumed doing something with the window would entail much less work. Its to provide ventilation, theres no gas fire, just a real condensation problem exacerbated by unvented windows.

Thanks, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

I with the hole drilling solution on this one. On the top of the top sash, drill a few 20mm holes with a spade drill bit and then cover them inside and out with grilles. The external grille should have insect mesh on it to stop creepy, crawlies from getting in.

Reply to
BigWallop

Right. If its outside building regs another way is to use extractor fan, and cut holes in the doors, or have a gap underneath.

If you are happy drilling the window frame, that's probly simplest tho.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

to sort out the condensation.

right, where would i find suitable vent hole covers?

yes, thats what I was thinking in the first place: how would I do this? I'm tempted to screw wood shims to the underside of the lower sash - would that fly? Does seem rather crude, and I dont know what depth of shim to use.

drill a few 20mm holes with a

grille should have insect

If I did that thered be no frame left. :) I could drill 25 or so 5mm holes, but dont know what to use to cover them to make it look decent and insect proof, or where to get whatever it is.

Thanks folks!, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

drill a few 20mm holes with a

external grille should have insect

Most of the DIY stores have plastic grilles which will cover the drill holes through the timber. If you can get hold of the grilles first, then use them to give you the sizes and spacing of the holes they'll cover, then drill the holes through the sash to suit. Even if you have drill a load of small holes, keeping them apart enough not weaken the timber frame, then use the grilles to cover them and make them look pretty.

Hope you understand this rambling 'cause I'se had a few beers for the new year.

Have a Very Happy and Prosperous New Year, NT. Good luck with it.

Reply to
BigWallop

Have a great new year!

Regards, NT