Vented fascia (not soffit)???

Hi,

Following on from yesterday's photo session, I wonder if anyone has come across a solution to venting fascias where there is no soffit.

I need to vent these, ideally to about 25mm continuous at least. We'll be venting the entire roof surface through these vents so little wibbly ones won't be much good.

Here's what I need to vent:

Inside face

face
appears to be exactly designed for the job (bottom most picture):

it's american and I've not found it in the UK.

Anyone know if there's a stock solution to this problem?

----------

I don't think the usual British over-fascia vent strip will work due to the tightness of the overlap of the felt - and this job needs to be done without damaging the felt as it was only re-done 3-4 years ago (expensive job too).

Failing everything else, the fall back would be to cut 300mm long x 25mm wide horizontal slots in the PVC fascia lining up with the rafter ends, guard with mesh and apply an external rain guard to prevent driving rain from entering (although with careful placement, the gutter might do this).

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Nasty problem.

Vents have a you know to be rain and insect proof, and certainly mammal/bird proof.

I'd be tempted to use something like cut down guttering parts glued to holes covered with mesh..Ive never seen a custom part to actually perform this function.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

ISTR seeing louvered plastic vents pre-fitted with insect screens at B+Q.

These might be too deep for the height of Tim's fascia.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

TNP:

Yep - it's a bit yuk. Can't believe no-one's come up with a stock solution. I've seen enough soffitless fascias to know there's a demand for a second type of vent apart from the over fascia type and the americans worked out a solution which seems in retrospect, totally obvious.

I'm seeing a pattern between this and thermal stores - we seem to be happy to not bother going the extra yard in the UK. Probably why we're stuffed.

I'll give it a day or two to see if anyone else has heard of a product that would work, otherwise I'll start drawing up some ways to modify a plain

100mm fascia.

Other Tim: Something like that might work - as you can see in the picture outside, the gutter does provide a fair degree of guarding against direct exposure to rain. The louvred vents might just finish off a well placed slot.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

How about something like:

with a fly screen glued to the back of it?

(chop your way through with a multimaster)

cover the edges

and

be used on the inside (pointing up obviously ;-) to make sure water can't blow in

Reply to
John Rumm

Just found:

don't know if there is a UK supplier. but would be dead easy to fit loads with a holesaw...

Reply to
John Rumm

John Rumm coughed up some electrons that declared:

I was thinking about something like this.

And I was wondering where I might get something like that - thanks, I reckon it's perfect - certainly will guard the rain.

Cheers John

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

John Rumm coughed up some electrons that declared:

I think I;ve seen those somewhere in the UK.

Oh - it was these

they're not as good...

Reply to
Tim S

No, the screen is not as fine and there is no louvre element to keep the rain out... (screwfix do them as well IIRC - got a drawer full I never got round to using somewhere!)

Reply to
John Rumm

Hi John,

John Rumm coughed up some electrons that declared:

Just wanted to say - I've tweaked your idea a fraction - there's a 45 degree bend in System-225 here, which I think will give a good airflow and still retard rain:

according to that web site, the actual duct dimensions are 234mm x 29mm which sounds ideal. There's a 300-odd mm wide one in the same depth, but I suspect that will weaken the board too much...

I think this idea will totally work. It might be possible to do the work in-situ - it's a balance between the doing it from the rear or up a ladder versus taking the board down, and more importantly, putting it up again in a weakened state (it's 3.4m long). It will be stable enough once it's nailed of course.

At the moment, from a ladder in spring is winning in my mind.

Anyway, all the parts are in the spreadsheet and cost of bits is about 95 quid plus flyscreen.

Again, many thanks for an excellent suggestion.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S