Venerable B&D chainsaw needs replacing

I have decided to replace my venerable B&D electric chainsaw. it's not really worn out completely but the oil filler is a bit of a pain and the chain brake is probably not as good as it was (nor as good as those on new saws). It's served me well for more than 10 years, has cut tons of logs and has cut down a few biggish Leylandii.

So, what to replace it with? I don't want to spend more than £100 (that was all the B&D cost). I see no point in doing so, I doubt very much if I'll wear out a chainsaw. I think I'll go for a slightly longer bar, say 16" or 18" (the B&D is either 12" or 14").

Two possibles I see at the moment are:-

JCB 1800W, 16" £44.97 at present, incredibly cheap Ryobi ECW1836 £51.35 at tool-net

I know JCB are just a label stuck on cheapo far east offerings but that's not really a problem as almost anything I buy is almost certainly going to be from the far east anyway.

Any comments or other suggestions would be welcome.

Reply to
usenet

Add another possibility, my local hardware store has the following:- Bosch AKE4017S £79.99

I'm very tempted by this, it's lighter than the other two and I'll save on carriage.

Reply to
usenet

... and now to complete my very own thread! :-)

I've bought a Bosch AKE4017S, the price was down even more, to £69.99 and it felt moderately heavy even though it's lighter than the other two so it seemed the obvious one to go for.

Reply to
usenet