Veneered Chipboard

Hello, I am a new poster to this group (but occasional on others), forgive me if I stray from this group's practice.

I am seeking information on the availability of veneered chipboard. With a recent gap I have used oak veneered chipboard for several pieces of furniture. Now, going back to the shops I can find only the "mahogany" veneer if I am lucky. The rest is all "wood effect". I found oak veneered chipboard on the Travisperkins website but when I rang them they said they had not seen it for years.

Oak faced MDF is available but only in 8'x4' sheets and is of a different thickness.

Can anyone point me to a possible source of supply for the chipboard not too far from North West Surrey?

I look forward to comments..

Mike

snipped-for-privacy@NOWOODntlworld.com

Reply to
Mike Morley

I bought some oak veneered chipboard about a year ago from Champions woodyard in New Malden, so they may well still stock it - worth checking.

This was for a project using a mixture of oak faced MDF and chip, and I used the chipboard for the less critical parts, assuming it would be cheaper. However, after it was all done I checked the price per square foot/metre, and found the chipboard was more expensive than the MDF...... Bear in mind that faced MDF comes in 12mm as well as the more usual 18mm, although you may have to get this as an order rather than the 18mm which should be in stock. Champions are not cheap, but at least you can get this kind of material, and you can have one free cut per board.....

Charles Fearnley

Reply to
Charles Fearnley

Goodwillies at Bedhampton (just south of Waterlooville).

Reply to
Steve Firth

Check with Homebase, I think it was available there a few months back. Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

snipped

Rang Champions and they said they still had Oak faced chipboard, quoted £10.10 plus vat for 8 foot x 9 inch. Nothing on the shelves at Homebase (Camberley) and has not been seen for some time. Did not try Goodwillies as they are a bit far to go.

I have now reported to my son who lives near the Edenbridge depot of Champions. It was his enquiry in the first place but I started with Travis P as I have one of their cash cards..

Thanks for your replies

Mike

Reply to
Mike Morley