Velux windows - DIY installation

Has anyone direct experience of installing their own Velux window in an existing loft conversion? How much can you get away with from the inside etc./ would you do it again etc?

Reply to
Bob Mannix

You can do it all from the inside. Make sure you have the right flashing kit for your roof. Handy to have a platform to stand on while you reach out to do the flashings, slates etc. Basically fairly easy. cheers Jacob

Reply to
normanwisdom

Spouse has done three or four, our own and for those who didn't believe that it was possible and wouldn't try it themselves.

Once they helped and saw that it WAS possible and even fairly easy they were prepared to do it themselves.

He did ours years ago and would do it differently now, he'd make the window openable. Perhaps they all are nowadays. He intends altering ours.

He intends doing all sorts of things .... :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Many thanks norm&mary - that was what I wanted to hear!

Reply to
Bob Mannix

on 18/07/2006, Bob Mannix supposed :

Yes.

You can do all of it from the inside. Do it again - yes if I needed to, it was much easier than I expected, though a bit daunting at first.

Aim for a dry day, get all the bits you might need ready - there will be no time to chase these once you have started. Do a thorough rehearsal before you start.

Carefully work out where you are going to fit it, for best fit between the roof structure. Lift out the tiles, plus extras to allow the beams to be cut and reinforced.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Mary Fisher used his keyboard to write :

I thought all Velux windows were openable?

Ours is - you can open it or swing it round 180 degrees which makes cleaning the outer glass a doddle. At the 180 degree position you can tap a couple of stops and then the glass plus movable part of the frame lifts completely out of the fixed part. This makes it easy to get the fixed part in place, the flashing and tiling done when first installing it.

As someone else mentioned, make sure you get the correct flashing pack to match your roof type.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

"Bob Mannix" wrote;

Also, in addition to previous replies about it can all be done from inside, and it being straightforward if you follow the installation instructions that come with the window, you will probably need help to mount the window into the frame due to the weight. My experience is from fitting a new Velux window when I converted my loft.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

The message from "Bob Mannix" contains these words:

I did a couple a few years back. The small one was easy. The large one less so. Lifting the sash into position was a struggle for 3 of us.

The woodworking is of a minor nature unless you have to cut a purlin in which case you might need professional advice. I was lucky. Our lower purlin was a framework with supports every 30" or so.

Reply to
Roger

Not difficult to do. Make sure that you get your head round how the window attaches to the frame before you try to fit it. Once you've done it you'll marvel at how easy it is.

Reply to
shaun

They weren't In Those Days :-)

Reply to
Mary Fisher

As others have said yes they are reasonably easy to fit from the inside. Fitting the glass sash to the frame is a knack but I find them easy now I have done a few. One thing that I would consider though is the top hung ones which also pivot for easy cleaning of the glass. I fitted one larger top hung primarily for escape options and this opens right out giving far superior ventilation. Also having opened the pivot ones as much as I could, stood up and banged me head on them cos I forgot how they come into the room. If I was fitting again I would go for all top hung, approx =A350 extra per window.

Legin

Reply to
legin

One major thing to watch out for is debris or tiles sliding down the roof and hurtling to the ground below especially if your house fronts onto a public path. Try to put a ladder up and sit a board in the gutter leaning against the ladder to catch anything.

ken

Reply to
Ken

The house isn't mine yet but it would be at the back - it's a good point though - they would fall on to another lower tiled roof that sould break!

Thanks to all who responded.

Reply to
Bob Mannix