Velux window blind advice

Hi,

I've just moved into a house with a large Velux window (model GGL-7 in case it matters). I'd like to fit a blind to it, but it looks like it's alread y been fitted for some non-standard type of blind. There are wooden rails down each side, and some kind of fitting with a piece of wood over it at th e top. See picture at

-- the top of the win dow (with the handle) is on the right-hand side of that photo.

The rails and top bit have been painted over, and look like they would be d ifficult to remove without damaging the glass and/or frame. I think I coul d remove the two metal brackets at the top as they're just secured with scr ews.

I have two questions:

  • is it possible to fit a standard Velux blind without removing the rails a nd top part? I've looked at some instructional videos but it's not clear w hether the metal rails would fit in the gap left at the sides of my window, and whether it's possible to fix the blind cartridge to the top of the win dow with that extra bit of wood in place.

  • alternatively, does this blind fitting look familiar? Can I get a blind to fit it?

Many thanks for any advice!

Cheers

- Ian

Reply to
Ian Chard

Going by the blinds we've got on some of our Veluxes (definitely genuine blinds, with the labels on), nope - you'll need to remove the top piece, for sure, but you might get away with the sides.

Reply to
Adrian

Thanks for your reply. Could you tell me the width of the side rails on your blinds? Do they fit flush with the inside edge of the frame?

- Ian

Reply to
Ian Chard

For most of the length of the window, you've got about 40mm or a bit more. At the bottom, where the lower part of the blind frame is, it's down to about 24mm.

But the top, where the roll is? Nope. It's damn near flush to the glass.

Adrian